Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

Thanks, the slates are actually Wills' sheets, filed away at the exposed edges to reduce the thickness. On the station, all that they have had so far is a thin coat of Humbrol 67 Tank grey. In the past I have used individual strips of paper or plasticard to represent tiles but find the main thing is how you go about painting and weathering.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

It's surrounded by rubbish, I'll give you that! I really could do with clearing off the bodging bench. Otherwise I will soon be working on the windowsill...

I'm thinking that for lighting, I am going to have to drill a hole in the baseboard and thread up a tube with the led on the end of it. I'm lighting the front room of the crossing keepers house,  signal box, the stationmaster's office and the pay office of the garage. 

That will be all, as I don't want to overdo things. Plus the oil lamps on the platform aren't designed to work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Plus the oil lamps on the platform aren't designed to work.

Thats a shame :mellow:

those LEDs I’ve sent to you will need the voltage throttling back to about 3v because at 12v they are far too bright unless you need landing lights for the Stuka?

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

What did you use to drop the voltage on your LEDs Chris?

because I’m running DCC I’ve got a couple of these that take the AC input from the track and converts is to DC, it has a potentiometer (circled) so I can reduce the output voltage

CAD4B271-E3A7-4B12-B0B8-DC17A878EA97.jpeg.846019cca55a493718594b32c4e59d6c.jpeg

If you’re running DC I think you can just wire in a potentiometer, you can also do it by soldering in resistors but I like having the facility to gradually adjust the voltage

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The simplest method to drop 12v to 3v is with a voltage divider - two resistors, the equation being Vout = (Vin×r2)/(r1+r2) - so for 3v, 1kohm and 330ohm would be suitable. 

Then connect them as follows:

+12v ----- r1 ----- r2 ------ ground
                |
               3v

I might have so suitable resistors in my old electronics box, I'll try to find it over the weekend and have a look.

Edited by Nick C
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Nick C said:

The simplest method to drop 12v to 3v is with a voltage divider - two resistors, the equation being Vout = (Vin×r2)/(r1+r2) - so for 3v, 1kohm and 330ohm would be suitable. 

|
               3v

I might have so suitable resistors in my old electronics box, I'll try to find it over the weekend and have a look.

I should have said approximately 3v because I just turned the screw on the pot until I achieved the desired effect

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

|
               3v

WOT?:banghead::scratchhead:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

If you're going to use a pot, you don't need to bother with the fixed resistors, it'll do the same job (you just use the middle pin as the output, the two outer pins power and ground) The exact values don't matter, it's the ratio between them that's important. 

Edited by Nick C
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nick C said:

|
               3v

Nope. Go again. Your last was difficult. 

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1