Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold

You don’t need to make a voltage divider to get a LED rated at a forward voltage of 3v to work with a 12v supply. Just a single fixed current limiting resistor will do the job!

If you’re unsure just twist a leg of the LED round one side of a 1k resistor and hold ithe two resulting wires against your supply (polarity correct of course!) and you can see for yourself. 

Jay

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Nick C said:

The simplest method to drop 12v to 3v is with a voltage divider - two resistors, the equation being Vout = (Vin×r2)/(r1+r2) - so for 3v, 1kohm and 330ohm would be suitable. 

Then connect them as follows:

+12v ----- r1 ----- r2 ------ ground
                |
               3v

I might have so suitable resistors in my old electronics box, I'll try to find it over the weekend and have a look.

That's the complicated way. Since the LED will be such low resistance* it would effectively short R2, so just bin that and go with the standard way LEDs have been wired for decades, a single series resistor (e.g. replace R2 in the diagram with the LED) :)

*yes, for anyone in the know, I know they do not have an actual resistance as per Ohm's law.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I think that you will get your house bricked by Star Wars nerds if you get rid of R2...

Also R2 is always going to be short, he's a swing bin with wheels....

Seriously though, thanks for the advice folks. One thing that has always put me off layout lighting in the past is out of scale brightness. I've seen a lot of layouts that either look like a Christmas fair or ground zero at Hiroshima.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

42 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That's quite an impressive collection when you see them all together.

I'm surprised how many there are, considering how minimal I wanted the layout to be! 

Other than these, there are a couple of sheds and the garage, technically a bigger shed. 

They will be spread over a 12ft X 2ft area.

I'll have to clear the junk off the layout to get on with the grass tomorrow, so I can then site everything once more and spaced out as they should be. Hopefully it won't look like an American frontier town like it does on the bench!:D

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Apologies for the dodgy photo, this is all of the buildings that have had the dark stone repainted.

I've used enough orange paint for an entire reality show.... 

IMG_20210925_164708.jpg.57f4c2b949c84a8843b0df85016a37d8.jpg

What's the green edifice at the back?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Correctomundo.

It is the only non railway building on the layout. There has been a garage in Aston on Clun since the 20's, it's called The Forge Garage and is actually at the opposite end of the village, sandwiched between the Kangaroo Inn and one of the roundhouses. 

This isn't a replica of The Forge, it's an amalgam of several. As it's one of my other interests, I decided to build the village garage across the road from the station, in what is a piece of open ground between Aston Hall and my fictitious crossing house. 

I'm building it on a separate board, just in case it looks too much, although the building is only a scale 28' square.

IMG_20210926_141520.jpg.af407decf7e238d1a527d34802f22626.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Best laid plans and all that... 

The static grass mission didn't get underway until around 3pm. 

The 1mm grass seems to stick together in little balls in the pack and in the applicator.

It didn't want to come out. I resorted to keeping the applicator close to the surface and lightly tapping the body with a small paintbrush.

This is what we have so far:

IMG_20210926_165722.jpg.c382d6d6b9ed9874ba75270c49a5a096.jpg

IMG_20210926_165740.jpg.72e71ce220651fc9ed2d75658b111016.jpg

I'll hoover up the river bed when the glue has set!

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

12 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

It's best to try and break up as many of the little balls of grass as you can. All the sizes do it.

Thanks for that, as usual I was thinking it was pilot error.

I'll do my best to separate the fibres on the next run.

I used to have a ball breaker, but I divorced her years ago...:jester:

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Evening Rob. 

Already looking utterly splendid. Very much the railway in the landscape. 

Bravo!

Rob 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1