Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

Much of it close cropped by the local sheep population.

This, if I can get the picture to load, is the actual location which I hope to make a passable representation of:

IMG_20210523_091653.jpg.4e6adc3b95247f029fda0ddcef02a1fa.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

WWS basing glue is definitely not just thin PVA, in case anyone wondered. It's very sticky stuff. Just been and washed my hands with petrol....

I’ve been using the WWS spray but cheapo hairspray does also work. 

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

I know that I am going to need some more static grass. I just nailed about 75g of the 100g bag I bought!

I'm going to make some cardboard masks to put longer, dead grass on the embankments. 

As you can probably see from my photo of the site, facing southwest there's a lot of trees near the river.

That's going to be fun.

Or not.

• Like 2

As a break from matters of the turf, I remembered that something else needed painting in company colours.

It's the old Ratio GWR wooden fencing. It's origins are before my time, but it looks the part and paints up well. 

There's plenty of evidence that the palings and arris rails were light stone and posts dark stone at many locations. Plus I liked the look of it!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

With the use of the vacuum cleaner, an elastic band and one of Miss R's old stockings, I've recovered enough static grass to finish the rest of the layout.

Our c2appy vacuum cleaner got a bit hot and bothered though! 

I'm keeping the other stocking for a series of armed robberies so that I can go all DCC, sound and Kadee couplings....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

I'm cheating with that. Photographic backscene, partly because I don't have enough practice painting landscapes, (The Lake District is already full to bursting with landscape artists!) and mostly because I don't have room to paint anything more than 60"x 40". I'm going to be building up the greenery, then painting individual sleepers followed by the joy of ballasting! 

At least I'm going to be getting some help with the last two jobs.

It also means that I have to get the majority of the goods yard surfaces in place. Which will be a good step forward.

• Like 5