Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It's been far too sunny for modelling today…..

Could I have your permission to use that as an extra excuse to add to my list?

I think that I’ve worn out the “can’t be bothered to do anything” excuse :blush:

I suppose I should post something on Warren just in case anyone following the thread thinks I’ve either given up or worse :lol:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, Gopher said:

So have you got the hat and the whip ?:D

Er, no.

I don't want to give the Memsahib any more excuses to chase me round the garden with a sword...

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm contemplating using some of the smaller ones (perhaps a different fret) as replacement steering wheels on tweaked Oxford vehicles. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Is this perhaps of use?

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/wagons/cwlb/

Thank you for finding that, the curly spoked variety is right but too small. I am after about 20mm diam. They don’t seem to do a fret for 7mm/ ft.

2AA7FB4F-AAB9-443A-AA62-2E9981753D13.jpeg

F959C287-9EA3-4330-BFF8-22756B191C16.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I started with the Ratio kit but have discarded most parts as they are not delicate enough for the small crane I’m trying to replicate. Good wheeze about heating and rotating the plastic wheel rim. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ancorton kits are mainly laser cut mdf. 

I came across this website advertising O gauge brass wheels so I am tempted to try them but need to see the dimensions first. If ok I will have some spare !

376C504B-133F-4E75-B824-530EE48E4DFE.jpeg

If that is the case you won't really get any relief details. I'm not a fan of MDF to be honest, I usually refer to it as Medium Density Firewood, although it's actually rubbish firewood.

I was looking for a 7mm version on the Wizard Models website. I've had some really good stuff from them.

I am thinking that you need something 12-20mm in diameter, to represent 3'-5' feet. This crane was originally inside the goods shed at Lancaster Green Aire (Midland Railway) the pulley is about 4'-0" diameter.

33170578670_9fbb768909_w.jpg.361a9389365826ee391f3aa95060a7c7.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As it’s all quiet at Wolf Hall I thought I might provoke things by showing further Ratio kitbutchery to replicate the lightweight goods crane at Limpley Stoke. As you can see I’m still waiting for the large brass wheel, but after the mandatory painting + weathering it might prove acceptable !

F69028EC-F7E1-408D-B565-3F100E72BD02.jpeg

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

It's a song line, you might recognise it from Pulp Fiction or several other Bruce Willis films.

It means that I've been having a bout of the doom is all.

I quit smoking ages ago.

PS The points work perfectly!

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 09/06/2021 at 19:14, MrWolf said:

If that is the case you won't really get any relief details. I'm not a fan of MDF to be honest, I usually refer to it as Medium Density Firewood, although it's actually rubbish firewood.

I was looking for a 7mm version on the Wizard Models website. I've had some really good stuff from them.

I am thinking that you need something 12-20mm in diameter, to represent 3'-5' feet. This crane was originally inside the goods shed at Lancaster Green Aire (Midland Railway) the pulley is about 4'-0" diameter.

It might be worth looking at some of the "Steam Punk" gears/cogs packs you see on Amazon/Etsy/Ebay 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's a song line, you might recognise it from Pulp Fiction or several other Bruce Willis films.

It means that I've been having a bout of the doom is all.

I quit smoking ages ago.

PS The points work perfectly!

Some of us can remember singing along to it in 66.

the teenager I was is still inside somewhere.

• Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

As it’s all quiet at Wolf Hall I thought I might provoke things by showing further Ratio kitbutchery to replicate the lightweight goods crane at Limpley Stoke. As you can see I’m still waiting for the large brass wheel, but after the mandatory painting + weathering it might prove acceptable !

F69028EC-F7E1-408D-B565-3F100E72BD02.jpeg

Even though you are stuck for a drive pulley, how's the rest of the layout going? 

Better than mine I hope?

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I chose to model Limpley Stoke, ( three miles from where I live)  in a large shed starting about 15 yrs ago,  (despite opposition from domestic management who continues to find me more important things to do, hence the slow evolution). The area is well documented with lots of photographic evidence so having laid down the track some 10 yrs ago I get most enjoyment from making the buildings as accurate as possible from card and scalescenes textures —then fighting the woodlice who try to eat them!   I’m still looking for a varnish that deters them.BB470F65-B027-47E7-8ADF-5CDA8A8E322C.jpeg.fbc012591fa19d030e53ced3116609be.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2