Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

58 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Around Item 7 in your list I apply some Humbrol DecalFix or Micro Set which softens the decal to go over things like bolt heads and gaps between planks.

That's not something that I have ever used. I think that I should, considering the 1980s kit mountain in the spare room. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

I have a similar affliction, I tend to scream and smash the computer if shown cat videos on the internet...

Al.

There are worse things. Like videos of babies falling over. I mean, is there anybody on the entire planet who isn't aware that toddlers are a little bit clumsy?

Rumour has it that MI5 has developed a method of torture where the prisoner is forced to watch endless reruns of You've been framed....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

7. Move the transfer carefully with the cocktail stick if necessary whilst everything is wet.

I like to use a small (00 or 000) wet brush for this.

• Informative/Useful 4

Now that I have a platform to fit it to, I thought that I had better get on with detailing and painting the station building. It's the largest building on the entire layout and more than once I have thought - is it too grand for the site?

I then refer back to the photos of stations on the Golden Valley Railway in the book that a fellow RMWeber sent me and it makes more sense.

IMG_20210708_223206.jpg.6142fe4cc52e786e9f0c6c0220411ec8.jpg

Gutters made and fitted, once set I can add downpipes. Note the level of chaos on the bench. That was tidy a week ago! 

IMG_20210708_223230.jpg.c269796d96d62d6d22917fd9a2a56936.jpg

Barge boards to make, finials to fit before a full paint and weathering job.

Images lost 

Edited by MrWolf
Grr. Grammar
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/07/2021 at 22:10, Compound2632 said:

Gloss varnish, Microset, and, in extremis, Microsol.

Don't know about in extremis, I always use Microsol. It helps get rid of the silvering and settles the decalsinto grooves and over rivets etc. Used properly, it will give that painted on look to the decals.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Speaking of which, you can just make out the carrier film in places, but as others have said, a little light weathering...

Still got the interior to do, but it has had a base coat of 50/50 Humbrol 64 grey and 110 natural wood. So far the outside has been dry brushed with Railmatch frame dirt and dark rust and a little Humbrol 53 Gunmetal. It wouldn't be too scruffy in the period modelled I suspect, being only four or five years old.

IMG_20210709_000117.jpg.d9d33a6d4413e8da5e239af4adcf89cd.jpg

The door drop springs haven't been painted yet, as they were salvaged from an old Coopercraft sprue. The Ratio ones shattered like glass, as some of the older kits seem to go brittle. Possibly the mix or the moulds were too hot when the sprues were made, or they came out of the mould too quickly. It doesn't really matter, decades later.

Edited by MrWolf
PostScript!
  • Like 9

5 minutes ago, aardvark said:

Authorities say that smoking is bad for us, but how can that be when it cures salmon.

Oddly enough we were talking only this afternoon about when we could get the best kind of salmon.

Free gratis salmon.

Smoking is also great for Herring, Cod, Haddock, bacon, ham, cheeses.....

Damn, now I have an urge for a big piece of Westphalian ham...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Use them dry to absorb any water from the transfer and help it to sit in place.  If the cotton is wet you can - gently - move the transfer around a little if needed.

• Like 3

I cycled the three miles to the gym this morning only to be told that the session was cancelled due to unforeseen blah blah.

So I think that I will get my bench cleared off. 

So many projects.....

• Friendly/supportive 6

Somewhere in the teetering junk pile that used to be my work bench is the signal box for my layout. 

If I can get that finished, I stand a chance of getting it installed, but more importantly, I can start figuring out the point rodding.

That ought to be a hoot.

I have also found a box containing a part built Cambrian GWR crane and match truck. @KNPand @chuffinghellhave completed and weathered theirs to such a high standard, a line has been drawn in the sand, or ash ballast and weeds.

If I don't get on with that too, then it will probably stay in bits forever more.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Graham T said:

Cotton wool buds can be useful in positioning the transfer too.

I use them too for bedding down pressfix transfers, work especially well over surface detail.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks, after a couple of weeks of not much going on, normal service has been interrupted by a bit of railway modelling.

The station building is suffering from a bit of glacial progress and I am not 100% happy with the shade of "Dark Stone" paint on any of the buildings when compared with my reference material. 

I have several jars of it, so I will be adding a little red brown to one and having a bit of a redecorate to improve the contrast between the two colours. Once the buildings are fixed to the layout there's no going back. 

This is plan B if the paintwork looks muddy on the station, because I will have to repaint everything else. :mad_mini:

• Like 3

Amongst the dreck on the bench were some strips cut out of Wills' coarse stone and some half round wall capping that were meant to approximate the boundary wall of Aston Hall and the (Now mostly demolished.) boundary wall on the opposite side of the track that was partly the service entrance to the hall.

I've stuck the bits together and will be finishing them while waiting for bits to dry on the station. 

It will also help me to work out the exact footprint of the garage site, because I will be constructing it all on the bench as a separate module, a method inspired by @Alister_G 's current junk filled farmyard project.

There has been some talk that I may I have tempted him from the true path with rusty sheds.

IMG_20210710_005314.jpg.3ceb2e1d1c2847af3a50e9a77923a755.jpg

This is what it is supposed to represent:

IMG_20210523_091036.jpg.0eb488a47631365d400725c56d724ea2.jpg

The wall blends in with the rest of the village far better than the house.

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

There has been some talk that I may I have tempted him from the true path with rusty sheds.

I can't imagine where you got that idea from, dear boy...

I like the choice you've made of the stone courses, it matches the prototype very well.

Al.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, aardvark said:

Interested in the "half round wall capping", since I've not seen anything like it in my limited time in the hobby way of life.  Is it Wills too?

Yeah, me too, I made my own out of styrene strip last time I needed some:

wCawdor-Quarry076.jpg.46c55fda12cfb2c3dd41290ac83b37ac.jpg

wCawdor-Quarry087.jpg.4b7aa284179161f33244568d0b22be78.jpg

Al.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8