Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

I think that the half round coping is actually meant to represent the type of ridge tiles that were commonly used on hipped rooves. 

Something that they do rather convincingly, but paint them Humbrol 67 and you have engineering brick or paint them up as stonework. I'm not entirely sure what is going on with the wall at Aston Hall, it has a somewhat unfinished look to it, with the top being flaunched over with cement.

I haven't found any evidence yet, but the gatepost and entrance bridge are massive stone blocks. Possibly the wall had an ornate cast iron capping with railings, removed during the wartime scrap drives.

• Informative/Useful 4

IMG_20210710_140005.jpg.405c4e4ef2a5d3b78d1eae9b0fa8682d.jpg

Walls under way. There's a method in the madness, honest!

I need some paint, so that's an excuse for us to go out on the old bikes, not that we need one....

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The station building is suffering from a bit of glacial progress and I am not 100% happy with the shade of "Dark Stone" paint on any of the buildings when compared with my reference material. 

I have several jars of it, so I will be adding a little red brown to one and having a bit of a redecorate to improve the contrast between the two colours. Once the buildings are fixed to the layout there's no going back. 

This is plan B if the paintwork looks muddy on the station, because I will have to repaint everything else. :mad_mini:

It may have been mentioned before and I missed it, but, which Dark Stone paint do you have?

14 minutes ago, 57xx said:

It may have been mentioned before and I missed it, but, which Dark Stone paint do you have?

It's Railmatch dark stone, the light stone paint looks very close to the real thing, but the dark doesn't seem dark enough.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It's Railmatch dark stone, the light stone paint looks very close. 

Ah yes, I've never been a fan of the Railmatch rendition of those colours. I'm firmly in the Precision camp for those.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That was a pleasant, if lengthy trip out to get a tin of Humbrol.

IMG_20210611_162523.jpg.719248830c3dcb7e5e0f00bf80a49dcb.jpg

Morecombe Bay?

We were in Lancaster this morning. Nothing railway related unless you count crossing the WCML at the station.

• Like 2

On 10/07/2021 at 18:55, 57xx said:

Ah yes, I've never been a fan of the Railmatch rendition of those colours. I'm firmly in the Precision camp for those.

I've just had a look at the Precision website and I think that you are right. Although the Stone No.1 appears virtually identical, the Stone No.3 appears to be much closer to surviving samples of paint.

"GWR Stone No. 3 (Dark Stone) Matt, 14ml, 50ml" https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/precisionrailway/bigfour/gwrbigfour/14p22

IMG_20201223_224856.jpg.cfdc05c24b0f9008d8737b5499d05617.jpg

Which is interesting news, if filled with slightly irritating implications.

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Rowsley17D said:

Morecombe Bay?

We were in Lancaster this morning. Nothing railway related unless you count crossing the WCML at the station.

North side east of Jenny Brown's Point. Some of our favourite motorcycling roads round there, not much traffic and too dangerous for modern bikes.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I've just had a look at the Precision website and I think that you are right. Although the Stone No.1 appears virtually identical, the Stone No.3 appears to be much closer to surviving samples of paint.

"GWR Stone No. 3 (Dark Stone) Matt, 14ml, 50ml" https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/precisionrailway/bigfour/gwrbigfour/14p22

IMG_20201223_224856.jpg.dff71336f856f1594020834ccf6457cc.jpg

Which is interesting news, if filled with slightly irritating implications.

That is a good pic, which book/mag is that in?

On 10/07/2021 at 22:22, 57xx said:

That is a good pic, which book/mag is that in?

I really should remember to quote my sources!

Here it is: Great Western Railway structure colours, 1912-1947 by Richard North.

IMG_20210710_225030.jpg.8e15b1a865e737c91fbf98641c36a1c6.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On a slightly more positive note, the walls are done and a base coat of paint, Humbrol 140, a slightly purplish grey to represent the limestone. The leaning gatepost is carved out of two pieces of the SS46 sprue stuck together and painted Humbrol 63. 

Now I am once again waiting for paint to dry before applying further colour. 

IMG_20210710_233031.jpg.02c086a24be8764ca10451cb6f97f181.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 15
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

This is what I am talking about regarding the Dark Stone not being dark / red enough. 

IMG_20210710_233018.jpg

IMG_20201223_224856.jpg.c2db06588eb360be5437331efd39a928.jpg

An old friend, no longer with us, always used Humbrol 62 Leather for dark stone.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

I hope this doesn’t offend your professional artists eye,  but I have been using an F&B sample pot , Red Earth No 64 to represent the faded appearance of No 3 after several years of wear!

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

Not at all, why should it? It looks very convincing, plus it's very good quality paint, I've used it on a number of full sized projects, it never fails to produce perfect results.

I suspect that if you needed a 2.5 litre tin, you might have to sell off a few trains!

Oddly, when looking through the book on GWR colours, some of the light / dark stone is very low in contrast. That said, by the time people started taking colour photographs, the GWR was long gone and the buildings probably hadn't been painted in twenty years.

I'm putting à few jobs on hold until I can get some better dark stone paint.

There's about a thousand other jobs to do anyway! 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I see you posted a picture of a nicely decrepit abode over on the Little Muddle thread.

Here in Cornwall they still live in them. The middle cottage is occupied and normally has a bright yellow Mk3 Land rover 110 parked outside.

IMG_20210711_090547446_HDR.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

You mean to say that an accountant from Oxted and his graphic designer wife haven't bought it and turned it into an £800,000 des res?

That's what happens up here! :D

Sorry to go off topic, when I sold up in the Devon village I refused to sell to outsiders / incomers and let a local girl move back in to the village so she could be close to her parents. OK I made a small loss but better to be a "Local Place For Local People" as far as I'm concerned !

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bgman said:

Sorry to go off topic, when I sold up in the Devon village I refused to sell to outsiders / incomers and let a local girl move back in to the village so she could be close to her parents. OK I made a small loss but better to be a "Local Place For Local People" as far as I'm concerned !

This is exactly what’s happening where I live (Wirksworth). Folk are trying to avoid selling to outsiders now due to the rapid number of holiday cottages appearing. More houses are bought and sold via the pub than the estate agent here these days. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

22 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Weathering the green paint a little is just the start

That is looking very nice.

This was my 1:1 scale "weathered green" garage at a previous house of unknown vintage. Photographs were taken with just such a (future) project of my own in mind. Bottom right picture faced due east and was shaded by trees, the other elevations were mainly unshaded, so more faded in the sunlight.  Hope they are of interest. 

Look forward to seeing more.

John 

Capture1.JPG.8e90ae422f27fd59aae6b7de58d6a8b3.JPG

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1