Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

20 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Please, no more innuendo about couplings...

I have found over the years, no matter what couplings you decide to use, there's always somebody who will tell you that you're wrong, so you might as well just fit whatever suits your needs rather than whatever system is "this week's shirt".

I like to keep it simple.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

I use three link couplings, some believe that it is a type of self abuse born of unresolved self loathing issues...

I say that at least it's healthier and much cheaper than a heroin addiction...

• Like 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Top coat of freight grey applied, no disasters fortunately.

Art critics say it's not so much about the way he applies the paint...

It's the thought behind the way he applies the paint...

Can I have the £25,000 Turner prize for bulls***ting now please? I'd like some more locos, motorbikes and shiny things for Miss R....

IMG_20210802_232719.jpg.e9856dbea2e0ecdc3a906b4b1865fe76.jpg

The bits of sideframe in the foreground are from the other V16, I have found that they are actually 2mmFS, where the FS stands for F... Short. 

But I don't give in that easily. 

Image missing.

Edited by MrWolf
Image missing
  • Like 8
  • Funny 8

Cruel close up reveals not too much in the way of brush marks. They'll definitely pass the two foot rule. I know that it won't be seen, but the underside will get a quick coat of paint next.

IMG_20210803_075221.jpg.772e313d617a85b9cce585028119ff4a.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

It went together ok, the trickiest bit was filing off the door details to accept the new wooden doors. This is only really possible with the side before assembly. I also reasoned that if I made a pig's ear of the sides, I would have the basis for an iron cattle wagon conversion kit.

IMG_20210806_105718.jpg.274cffc919e1301d576c20af2e4759df.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 18

Thanks are due to @Coach bogieand @Sandholeon the Stoke Courtenay thread for the inspiration to build this one.

I can only blame myself for acting upon that inspiration though. 

The magazine article which describes the conversion is a bit before my time, but I do remember my first attempts at modifying kits and that's why I have built this one.

IMG_20210807_164529.jpg.8c480a1808a2eb771b2318c4f576a57c.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Useless internet crashed twice
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

I've been by actually doing some painting of the layout, as well as catching up with what everyone else is doing on here. I am literally waiting for paint to dry.

I have been digging in the box of doom, although these two were bought only last year during the final episode of doubt over the old Ratio iron Mink vans. 

The impressive job that Kevin @KNP has made of his has got me having to use some serious willpower not to make a start on them, otherwise I will have to change the thread title to Wolf's Wagon Works. 

I don't think that would be very inspiring for any of us.

image missing

IMG_20210807_201219.jpg.580ae8311a891cd68cc1c17251e10625.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Same **** different day.
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Very early on in this thread I admitted that I had an old banana box filled with around 140 kits dating back to the 1980s.

So I suspect that once the layout is looking somewhere like complete (They're never finished are they?) I will be concentrating on building the stock. 

I certainly don't need to buy any more rolling stock!

Locomotives are a different kind of temptation however...

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

The second of the V16 vans which had some issues with the chassis finally together, I cheated and fitted a plasticard shim behind each buffer beam so that the solebars fitted. It should be invisible once painted.

I'm not too impressed with the brake gear, but it's an ancient kit and the body mouldings sort of make up for it. After a lot of filing, paint and weathering will do the rest. 

IMG_20210807_230909.jpg.7bad9b4f39eb828e9c644cfff9005f7e.jpg

Image missing 

Edited by MrWolf
Image missing
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Graham T said:

Wolf's Wagon Works does have a certain ring to it though...

It does and the website address would be easy to remember

www.www.co.uk

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 8

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The internet is useless around here. 

If this is the future, we're probably already dead, but didn't receive the email...:mad_mini:

Does it still make those strange electronic noises when you are trying to connect?

• Funny 7

It's probably deliberate so that we all go out and buy. 5g devices, same thing happened with 3g when 4g was announced. I've given up trying to post more than one photo because I end up having to do it on the edit facility every time.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

If you have a home WiFi hub and the phone connects to that 3,4,5g are all irrelevant. I normally have WiFi on and mobile data off at home and vice versa when out.

Don

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I've found RMWeb to be annoyingly unreliable these last few weeks, even on my soopah-doopah Fibre link - it either won't show images, won't load images, or fails to upload or allow me to react to posts.

So I don't think it's all down to your 4G Rob.

Al.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Alister_G said:

I've found RMWeb to be annoyingly unreliable these last few weeks, even on my soopah-doopah Fibre link - it either won't show images, won't load images, or fails to upload or allow me to react to posts.

So I don't think it's all down to your 4G Rob.

Al.

I have to say I've been experiencing the same thing, the most frequent is the text loads but the images sit there as a light blue box strobing slowly.

More often then not I give up and close the link and get on with something else coming back later.

I did wonder is was the volume of traffic at the time and site couldn't handle it.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

As we are going to be using the space underneath the baseboard for storage, I thought it was about time that I sorted out the wiring that was hanging out all over the place. 

I've soldered droppers onto the points figured out the isolated sections and secured the resulting rat's nest with some small plastic P clips.

Not very exciting, but I really should have done it before the landscaping!

Now the memsahib can fill four fifths of the space with her wardrobe overflow, musical instruments and weapons of mass destruction and we'll have to hoover now that you can actually find the carpet.

IMG_20210808_225327.jpg.9c9219a84582839f901b49e898f401ba.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Loaded picture on attempt number 7!
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3