Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

That looks neat. Remind me; is it DC or DCC?

It's old school DC as I like to occasionally run relics that are older than I am. That said, a lot of the "new" locos are 20+ years old.

There's only two wires coming out of the controller, the rest are point motors, jumper cables for the insulfrog points and isolation links.

I've tried to keep things simple, though originally I was going to use wire in tube for points operation, it turned out that motors involved a lot less engineering.

• Like 3

Having managed to sort out the wiring to a less visually offensive state last night, I thought that I had better give it a quick test this morning. (Read as: I've dropped off the memsahib for her train to work, so I'll play with my trains for an hour.)

Nothing.

Dead.

What have I obviously made a total dog's breakfast of?

Just as I was about to start disconnecting wires one by one to find the short, I spotted the coil of solder that I had left lying across the rails in one of the sidings....

The Nobel prize for Dumbassery goes to,......... :sarcastichand:

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

We've all done it

8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Having managed to sort out the wiring to a less visually offensive state last night, I thought that I had better give it a quick test this morning. (Read as: I've dropped off the memsahib for her train to work, so I'll play with my trains for an hour.)

Nothing.

Dead.

Just as I was about to start disconnecting wires one by one to find the short, I spotted the coil of solder that I had left lying across the rails in one of the sidings....

We've all done it - various tools, pins, spectacles......

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Nothing.

Dead.

In the midst of an exhibition, when nothing will move and panic is fast approaching....................check the "centre off' on the Gaugemaster Combi..........just saying

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Amongst other once in a lifetime thrills, I've painted the sides of all the rails. I've also put some grey washes on the sleepers. It's going to receive more weathering once the ballast is down.

I will try and post a picture!

Rob, to sow a thought........

My track weathering has evolved over the last four Cameoesque adventures. 

The Standard Sheep Operating Procedure is now fully weather the track before adding ballast. 

This means that those colours for track only stay track only and don't make their way into the ballast and then prove tricky.....impossible to dislodge. 

It does take a while but I find that its worth it in appearance. 

I'll post some photos on Sheep Chronicles to save cluttering up yours. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, MrWolf said:

we'll have to hoover now that you can actually find the carpet.

Isn't that the sort of thing that incurs the wrath of the carpet monster ?

Adrian

• Funny 2

53 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Rob, to sow a thought........

My track weathering has evolved over the last four Cameoesque adventures. 

The Standard Sheep Operating Procedure is now fully weather the track before adding ballast. 

This means that those colours for track only stay track only and don't make their way into the ballast and then prove tricky.....impossible to dislodge. 

It does take a while but I find that its worth it in appearance. 

I'll post some photos on Sheep Chronicles to save cluttering up yours. 

Rob. 

Evening Rob,

That is a very valid point. I will only be weathering the entire formation when the ballast is down. I had better finish all of the sleeper weathering first.

Not a problem to post pictures on here if you want to, it helps me to remember what the hell I am supposed to be doing! 

• Like 2

I've got a couple of LED work lights which I am going to rig up over the layout. Despite the fact that there's two ceiling lights in the room, I am always working in my own shadow on the layout itself, which makes it difficult to paint anything that is fixed down and of course makes colours appear dark and muddy. I'm going to have to sort that out before I do much else. It has become very noticeable today whilst painting the rails.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the compliments, it's good to be able to share a little progress.

The washed up dead branches are actually bits of stick that were mixed in with the gravel I smuggled out of The Forgotten County, so they're at least authentic! 

Now it needs an awful lot of greenery...:fie:

• Like 2

That looks an extremely realistic river. It reminds me of the upper reaches of some of the rivers in the Yorkshire Dales for some reason and I’d say you’ve got the crumbling banks and stoney “beaches” down to a t.

Good to see you back posting by the way.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear from you Rob. 

I'm watching the adding of the water with some interest as I have some to do myself.........and have never modelled this before. 

Top stuff. 

Rob

• Thanks 1