Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

Maybe it's a Monet-Goyon, Motosacoche or FN then...

Meanwhile, back on the subject of model railway items.

I have er, purchased sheep.

Maybe it was getting sideslip from reading the eBay threads, insomnia and somebody aggressively hogging the bed, or following a thread where there's not so much a hazelnut in every bite, as a sheep reference on every page.

This I hasten to add; is down to the followers, not the author, well maybe 70/30, 60/40, who knows?

The fact is that Aston needs a few sheep. Historically, hundreds were driven through the village and into temporary pens at the LNWR station in Broome. If Aston had really possessed a station, they would be taking some of that traffic.

A fellow poster, (Sorry I can't remember who!) filled his cattle trucks with items from Serious Play Scenics. 

The sheep looked pretty good so I bought a few packs. It's going to be interesting painting those up, it's not something that I have done before.

I'll post pictures when they arrive.

Anything to avoid static grass!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back Rob :dancer:. That river is a superb piece of modelling.:good:

What did you do at the baseboard edges? Noted you applied with a brush and you left the varnish to find its own level, which suggests enough to create a flow ?

I like the bin liners / dust buster idea.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2021 at 05:23, Fishplate said:

Welcome back Rob :dancer:. That river is a superb piece of modelling.:good:

What did you do at the baseboard edges? Noted you applied with a brush and you left the varnish to find its own level, which suggests enough to create a flow ?

I like the bin liners / dust buster idea.

It's good to be back and thank you to you all for your good wishes.

The water level at the rear of the layout was a mixture of a cheat and a b##ls up when I was making the landscape formers. I glued a very narrow strip of wood along the back of the board to support the formers, completely forgetting to leave a gap for the river.

By the time I realised, it was too late. 

As the river in reality flows towards the front of the layout, I used the strip as a change in level of the river bed. 

I first painted the raised part a very dark brown/green to suggest depth, then piled my gravel mix unevenly up against the step and glued it down. 

The raised bit then got painted with gloss varnish, brushed forward over the stones, and using an old spoon, pouring it down over the stones and pushing it around the rest of the river bed with a brush.

At the front edge, a raise in levels is impossible.  All I did was stick two layers of two inch masking tape firmly across the front of the layout, about four millimetres above the bed level of the river. This is more than enough to hold back the tide! 

Once it has set, any raised lip on the varnish can be taken off with a razor blade.

As for the bin liner trick, I just weighted the edges to form a tent across the valley.

IMG_20210917_175028.jpg.4751caab642ae9e8a17771ebafbfe0e6.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5

On 17/09/2021 at 10:14, Northroader said:

That's a particularly stylish looking sheep, thanks for the info, it looks like I will be possibly removing horns, adjusting ears and doing some neat painting!

Ewe_of_the_Clun_Forest_breed.jpg.ec0ac5b01ef3ab6c4314f4c5645c13c0.jpg

Perhaps this i s a wolf in sheep's clothing? 

Byzantium4.jpg.b0a77967bb8de88fd56d65b6b24960d9.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

A belated thanks to @Bluemonkey presents.... for the source of the new flock. I think that I have figured out how to make them new ears appropriate to their breed!

PS. Sorry about making you saw off your axle tiebars. On the plus side, you can't break them if they've been sawn off!

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's a particularly stylish looking sheep, thanks for the info, it looks like I will be possibly removing horns, adjusting ears and doing some neat painting!Ewe_of_the_Clun_Forest_breed.jpg.fc45e498743d3e51f95baaf19f8ff837.jpg

Perhaps this is a wolf in sheep's clothing? 

DK7mpx9VoAAvknY.jpg.ca0ad6ef0a9f0ae50b8a28c80b879022.jpg

I think it is a sheep in wolf's clothing 

• Funny 1

14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

All I did was stick two layers of two inch masking tape firmly across the front of the layout, about four millimetres above the bed level of the river. This is more than enough to hold back the tide! 

Once it has set, any raised lip on the varnish can be taken off with a razor blade.

Great, thanks for that. I have a dock with "water" to the baseboard edge, so will give that method a go when the layout is put back together.

Been moved a year now, so be prepared for the layout to take a back seat whilst all those 'little' jobs at your potential new house get attended too . . . . .I thought my layout would be fully reassembled within 12 months. Errr, wrong !

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

A belated thanks to @Bluemonkey presents.... for the source of the new flock. I think that I have figured out how to make them new ears appropriate to their breed!

PS. Sorry about making you saw off your axle tiebars. On the plus side, you can't break them if they've been sawn off!

No problem better to have then right than with tie bars, lol. Besides I had already replaced the plastic with a length of brass so they can be reused on other wagons once I have cleared my bench although I may now have no future layout.

How are those sheep, I am very pleased with the cattle I received although the resin is very delicate on the legs so be careful there.

2 hours ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

No problem better to have then right than with tie bars, lol. Besides I had already replaced the plastic with a length of brass so they can be reused on other wagons once I have cleared my bench although I may now have no future layout.

How are those sheep, I am very pleased with the cattle I received although the resin is very delicate on the legs so be careful there.

was going to replace my tie bars with the brass ones, but I could only seem to source the 10' WB versions. 

This was because every model that I had seen of the W1 / W5 that I had seen whether vacuum braked or not, had the tiebars in place.

As had been advised on your thread, "Never make a model of a model". On looking at pictures of originals with hand brakes, no tiebars. 

I think that another problem is that we are too familiar with the construction of plastic wagon kits. 

Then for some reason or another, I read the instructions....:sarcastichand:

Which made me realise that the ones I made years ago weren't right either.

The sheep should arrive sometime next week, so armed with the information supplied by @NorthroaderI will be modifying them.

If I don't make a horse's ar5e of it, I will post it on here.:D

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

On looking at pictures of originals with hand brakes, no tiebars.

Because hand brakes do not exert as much force onto the wheels as “power brakes” (even vacuum).

It’s not just about photos of the prototype, but understanding the prototype where possible.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/09/2021 at 16:40, Andrew P said:

Good to see you posting again Rob, I have a River scene to do, but now having seen yours I'm having second thoughts.

BTW do you do commissions?:D:good:

Mr P you are being too modest.

Anyone who has seen your water scenes thinks you have the golden touch!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1