Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold

Forgot to say, by the way, you've made a cracking job of the crossing-keepers house, and like you I prefer to have the chimneys solidly attached to the structure, rather than balanced on top of the roof afterwards.

Al.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, whilst the stringers for the goods shed steps were setting, I retrieved the house from downstairs and slathered a coat of raw brick red on it, actually Humbrol Matt 100 mixed with dirty thinners. If you break a Victorian brick, or the fired surface is spalled away by frost etc, this is the colour I see. I am leaving the inside of the porch as "whitewash flaking off damp bricks" which was the main reason for double skinning.

Oh and thanks for the link to Dexters cove for the chimney pots, they are bang on.

IMG_20201211_000518.jpg.c0593daea08f06820b326322fcb85af5.jpg

IMG_20201211_000537.jpg

03001191.jpg.18951224c34509ddd17ae5acc40c63bc.jpg

0300118a.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
PostScript!
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

This morning's pre breakfast swearing session has resulted in getting the steps and handrails to the access door built. It might not look much, but it took two pairs of hands to get everything glued up and acceptably level.

Initially I couldn't see the point in buying a ready made length of stairs for such a short run - I do now!

Thanks for the tip on crates, ISTR @Mikkelmade some crates and boxes that looked the business on his blog.

IMG_20201211_092500.jpg.05a3024a79980c04b55059c7756e490a.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 09/12/2020 at 08:14, MrWolf said:

Having been woken earlier than usual by that question men have been asking for millennia: "How can something so small and apparently fragile take up so much bed and defend that territory so well whilst apparently asleep?" 

I think in the early days of a relationship it is excused by the "I love you and want to be close to you".  As time goes on it becomes open warfare.  What always astounds me is if you decide to vacate the bed for even a second, your territory is lost, with not a hope in hell of reclaiming it.  Yes often accomplished when your female bed mate is allegedly in the land of nod.   

Buildings are looking great by the way.  I am always in awe of people who can scratch build buildings.  I can make a decent fist of a kit, but scratch building especially with Wills building sheets is always a challenge.           

• Thanks 1

I'm not complaining.....:D;)

In other news, I don't think it's so much where you start nowadays, there's some really good laser cut kits such as Petite Properties, it's how people finish and detail them that gives the result. Even the ready to plonk buildings can be taken to another level. 

If I can get my buildings to look half as convincing as yours on Dewchurch, then it's been worth the effort.

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember these being given away? 

I needed a weighbridge hut that could pass for having been built at the same time as the crossing keepers house. I have had a look at the bits, but I would like the window in the middle of the front wall, the door towards the rear of the left-hand end and the chimney in the opposite corner.

You can see the beginnings of the latest bit of plastic kit massacre next to the packet.

IMG_20201211_223538.jpg.f3fac1916ee645b5862873d555013812.jpg

I don't need all that many buildings for this layout at all. The most substantial is the crossing keepers house, for which I am waiting for slates to arrive in the post.

Below is a list of what they are and how I am planning on creating them.

Station building: Largely inspired by Vowchurch, with a small canopy. Built mostly from scratch.

Parcels / cycle shed: Wills pagoda with cut and shut Peco windows a la @chuffinghell

Signal box: Still undecided. Might see how well I get on butchering the Ratio one I have, if that fails I will refer back a couple of pages and get my hand in my pocket! 

Goods shed: In progress, much modified Wills kit. 

Weighbridge: Much modified Ratio yard office. Brass Pooley bridge from Wizard models.

Merchant's hut: Wills lines men's hut with Victorian window and roof finials / sign.

Feed store: Ex 4 wheeler PBV from scrap Tri-ang clearstory bodies.

Platelayer's hut: Coopercraft, been gathering dust since last century....

Corrugated garage / filling station: Slater's and Wills corrugated iron.

That's about it.

It suddenly sounds like an awful lot!

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning Rob. 

Yes, it does sound like a lot but I can't wait.  Like the Gopher, I am in awe of anyone who can chop/hack/chainsaw Wills sheets into submission. 

Your efforts in respect of the crossing keepers hut are just sublime. I can't wait to see the finished article. That said, your efforts with the Wills good shed  a readily available and much utilised little item,  is producing a highly individual  building which will have people guessing at its origins.

Its having the vision to bring it all together and having the ability to convert than vision into reality. 

Really, really top stuff. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Anybody who has ever tried to make anything will have come across the knock on effect of making changes.

I made a 'skin' for the inside of the front wall out of a bit of Slater's brick sheet, so easy to cut! The lack of relief compared to the Wills sheet won't matter under a coat of whitewash.

IMG_20201212_164042.jpg.5f59f02b590431338c4454f479f708c4.jpg

Dropping the rather nice Ratio window into the wall revealed another problem. The big ugly flange for location purposes will be very visible through the now open door!

IMG_20201212_164540.jpg.8b9a11f0120a30e279cd3bfd51983937.jpg

In my experience, no decent sort of chap wants to be confronted with a big ugly flange... 

So it had to go. The window sits better in the aperture, I do have a little gap to fill though.

IMG_20201212_164933.jpg.b7755ac21d47335ff8d3706265e417e1.jpg

IMG_20201212_164946.jpg.da408878b1ac085994bb3edbd94924d9.jpg

I now have a stove and a sort of desk / cupboard to make as well as the balance mechanism. I have instructed RRH that if I go any further, talk about going any further, or if she thinks that I am going any further, she is to hit me with a frying pan / rake / steam iron in a Tom & Jerry style. 

It's the kindest thing to do.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Lovely buildings.

Regarding interior detail madness. Now that my weighbridge is in place on the layout, I can see absolutely, totally, 100 procent nothing of the interior bits.

So do keep at it :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

People who put interiors into small spaces are a sandwich short of a picnic!

Therefore I modified a fire devil out of the Ratio water crane kit, moving the chimney.....

625CCE80-4D88-4075-BDDB-05D94EA9A0F8.jpeg.17ada62a9edc6e87921d510f9074cb89.jpeg

....to the back and adding a disc of plasticard as a hot plate....

D143B358-8E60-49FD-AA7A-CDE632D5D37C.jpeg.a5cc0fe3af60efbe3739e162941b00ca.jpeg

....for Simons ‘s kettle

09906FF3-0B85-4F18-A9DF-6EAF382C175E.jpeg.9ae5922f0ce2b3afecd0d78a1b9d5136.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

In my defence, it's difficult to see much, the window of this room is really high and has bars on it...

I don’t have bars at the windows but I do have rubber wallpaper and a jacket with extra long arms 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Thanks all, @Rowsley17D, I have dig out a signal box interior kit to figure out lever frame lengths. I was tempted to rob the stove out of that, but I have no doubt I will go mad with the signal box when I build it, especially as it DOES face the front of the layout.

@Mikkel I too am confident that it will be impossible to see inside the building once completed. Should I add lighting in that case?? :jester:

I think that it was your thread that I originally posted that picture of the Pooley balance mechanism which got me thinking... 

@chuffinghell What can I say? You are the instigator of this miniaturised madness...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, MrWolf said:

I think that it was your thread that I originally posted that picture of the Pooley balance mechanism which got me thinking... 

Yes, and thanks very much for that. I copied it directly. The thing is, once the windows are fitted you can only really look into these small structures if there is light from the side. Which layouts don't normally have. I left the door ajar, it wasn't enough but you could leave it wide open.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The plan is to leave the door wide open, hopefully that will allow the details to be seen. It has also been pointed out (by SWMBO) that she can say to visitors: "Have a look in that little doorway, THAT'S how mad he is..."

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Well done Rob, don't take any notice of the naysayers, it's that sort of detail that lifts an already good model into the realms of perfection.

I'm sure the concussion will wear off after a while...

Al.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 3