Faded Building-Side Adverts

D9016

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, i was looking to do a ghost sign ( faded deteriorating painted sign) i noticed there are a few transfers about as well as a Liptons Tea being sold by a model supplier, so i got my thinking cap on and came up with the Beefeater Gin Logo, i emailed a guy on ebay who was supplying lasercut signs cut from Mylar, so i asked him to shrink it down to 85MM across x 25MM high, just about right to fit on the gable end of a model building of mine, so i sort of positioned it where it was pretty central in terms of left to right, so i masked out the building and applied some off white emulsion, being water based if i made a dogs dinner of it, i could simply wipe it off and start over, so i dabbed thinned white emulsion with a small piece of sponge, taking most of the paint off the sponge, kind of dry dabbing so to speak, let it dry, positioned the stencil in the correct place, fixed it with masking tape & proceeded with the application of the red paint, once again, a tester from B&Q, dab painted it and let it dry

When i removed the stencil, the red paint had bled into itself on some of the lettering, as this was a Slaters Plasticard brick effect it was not one dimensional, it was raised and recessed, otherwise i would have just got a transfer to stick on a flat surface, so i just got a fine paintbrush and dabbed white spots etc where the red letters had bled into each other and appeared to be joined, soon rectified it as well as adding more white paint dabbed onto the red letters themselves to try and create the flaking paint kind of look, i'm happy with it

Neil

20201103_180048.jpg

20201103_180100.jpg

20201103_180855.jpg

20201103_202248.jpg

20201103_200905.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1