Hornby Lord Nelson Traction Tyres?

I have the RTR Hornby Lord Nelson which struggles to pull much at all really. Smooth as anything else I have, but tugging capability is poor on my older layout. Do you happen to know if I can fit traction tyres to this loco or will I have to get new wheels if that is how I proceed? I'm assuming TT's are not just a band and they must locate on something? 

Thank you.

33 minutes ago, Jerryatric said:

Did you not read what I wrote? I asked about traction tyres! Not about a seller called bee whatever ....sigh

If it struggles to pull, putting traction tyres on it is false economy. I have had the same problem due to the motor magnet field being very weak. Changing or remagnetizing the magnet (or renewing the motor), transforms the performance. And yes, i did read what you wrote.....:read:

• Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, 33C said:

If it struggles to pull, putting traction tyres on it is false economy. I have had the same problem due to the motor magnet field being very weak. Changing or remagnetizing the magnet (or renewing the motor), transforms the performance. And yes, i did read what you wrote.....:read:

This is brand new from the box. Am I to assume then that Hornby cannot match a motor to its body???? Is that really my only option? A new motor?

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Jerryatric said:

This is brand new from the box. Am I to assume then that Hornby cannot match a motor to its body???? Is that really my only option? A new motor?

I bought one new as well, and have no problem with hauling power. It will happily take 8-10 Maunsells or Bachmann MK1s round the layout. Suggest you try contacting Hornby about the issue if it's brand-new?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Could be suffering from the dreaded mazac rot, i.e. the chassis block is bulging and making everything tight. (Cheap chinese metal, like the class 31 problem.) Take the motor out and see if the chassis/gears/wheels/valve gear run smooth. It's not the end of the world. My Bullied suffered similarly so, stripped the chassis, filed the sides smooth, smeared superglue over the minor cracks and put it back together and she's now fine.

Edited by 33C
added detail
  • Like 1

My Hornby Lord Nelson is rather feeble and will hardly pull 8 coaches. As this is a new locomotive it should certainly not need remagnetizing, nor is Mazak rot likely to be an issue,

I do think Bullfrog Snot may be a solution. I recently tried this on a B17 and it worked very well. It’s a green liquid that you coat the driving wheels with. It dries very hard and acts like a traction tyre. I only coated the rear drivers for whilst the loco did pick up from both loco and tender, I didn’t want to restrict the pick up too much. 

Sandra

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

If you have 'tight' curves on your layout, that could be a problem. Most of these loco's will pull well on the straight/flat and if curves are no less than 36" . I have one of the new ones, (Hood), but have the luxury of 38/40" minimum curves and it will haul 10 modern RTR Bulleids and or Maunsells. Mind you, I make sure my coaches have damn fine running bogies as some are crap out of the box. 

However, as several have said, if it won't pull more than 4 (I add, even on tight curves), send it back after contacting Hornby. Sounds like yours could be duff, as sometimes Loco's are as the seller will rarely test run it and if it is off EBay then good luck with that mate.

P

Thanks for that. The curves on my layout aren’t that tight, I tried to keep the minimum radius down to 42”. It does now pull a six coach train but anything more and it really struggles on the straight or on curves. I think it may just be a poor example but you never know, with time it might improve.

• 2 years later...

It's worth checking the front bogie bracket for clearance, if it's too low it can take weight of front drivers. My first N15 would pull anything but my second and third didn't, after checking the brackets it was clearly in need of adjustment. The easiest way is just press on the chimney, if no dip, that your answer. I had the same problem on my first S15, the second one was fine but didn't haul as much as the N15 so weight was added and it now pull sixteen coaches, well worth it.

• Informative/Useful 2