Painting locos

• RMweb Premium

Have a go yourself, if you make a mess of it you can always strip it off and start again.  Another RMweb contributor gave me that encouragement recently, I had a go and succeeded.

Do some research first.  You don’t say what your model is, but if you go on the internet and find ‘O gauge guild virtual exhibition’, there is a video all about preparing to paint a model.  It’s mainly aimed at steam locos built from bras kits, but there is loads of really good advice in the video.

• Like 1

If you get one of the professional painters  to paint your model it will never be your own work which is recognised, it will always be an xx paint job!   

At least have a go at painting, it’s not rocket science, read up on techniques and give it a go.  Even if it’s not perfect you can strip off the paint and try again. 

Ian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

What they said.  Practice on an old model to develop technique and get the ‘feel’ of things.  I use acrylics for several reasons, not least that I am working in the living area of the home and fumes are an issue.  I use Halfords car acrylic grey primer spray as a base, with makeshift spray booth (cardboard box) and do this on the patio.  Then I build up brushed on colour coats of slightly diluted matt or semi-matt acrylic, which I find covers more evenly, until I am satisfied with the finish, at which stage the transfers are applied, and a spray coat of varnish, matt in my case, to seal them.  

Get yourself a variety of brushes from 000 to no.2, sable ideally but hair will do; avoid any synthetic types.  Even light strokes to cover areas, and develop technique of ‘pushing the paint into corners and angles.  Work under the best light you can, take your time, and give yourself plenty of breaks to avoid eye strain; tired eyes make mistakes.  It really isn’t difficult, but you do need to be methodical and the work can be repetitive (especially on panelled compartment coaches). 2 or 3 coats are usually sufficient I find; the trick is to get full coverage with the required colour intensity while keeping the total thickness of paint to a minimum to preserve fine detail, rivets etc.  

IMHO matt paints are more ‘forgiving’ in terms of even finish, and if you want a gloss or eggshell finish you can achieve it with the final varnish, but note that some transfers will show up their carrier film when applied directly to a matt surface.  In this case, a coat of gloss or at least eggshell varnish is needed before the transfers go on, then a finishing varnish to seal them. 

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, graphite33 said:

In broadcast mode again

Need advice on painting a diesel loco or should i leave it to the professionals

Cheers G

You need to go to the workbench section and study some of the many threads on how to do it.

effectively without an airbrush, it’ll look poor, with an airbrush you need to practice 

• Agree 1