Mitre Bridge Junction

Karhedron

Please can anyone suggest some good photos of the United Dairies bottling plant at Mitre Bridge Junction? It was located just north of the signal box on the curve between Mitre Bridge Junction and West London Junction. Any photos from around 1930 to 1970 would be great. They don't have to be from the ground, any aerial photos would do. I have only managed to find a few very distant, blurry shots. The best one I have found is this one taken from Willesden MPD. You can see the United Dairies lettering on the chimney but someone has inconveniently parked a loco in front of it, blocking the shot. :jester:

23044929801_2106a4e176_b.jpg

Have a look o Facebook, Hammersmith Palais Old School (despite the name) is the local history group for the area. The only diary I remember round there was at White City where the GWR line went from the WLL towards Ruislip. that was closed in the late 1970s I think when Westway was built.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, sir douglas said:

i know nothing of the place but Flickr is normally a good supply of photos

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=mitre bridge junction

Thanks for the suggestion. That is where I found the photo in the OP. Sadly most of the photos are either post-demolition or facing the wrong direction.

8 hours ago, roythebus said:

Have a look o Facebook, Hammersmith Palais Old School (despite the name) is the local history group for the area. The only diary I remember round there was at White City where the GWR line went from the WLL towards Ruislip. that was closed in the late 1970s I think when Westway was built.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try looking that up. The one at White City was Wood Lane, another United Dairies establishment. Quite surprising the two were built so close together.

No help at all this, but I passed round the Mitre this morning with 6O51 to Battersea and had completely forgotten about the dairy that stood there!

(The line down through Mitre to Latchmere Junction is fascinating and any point along it would make for an excellent layout in any scale)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Reminds me of a chap I worked with on the Underground back in 1970, he was a redundant 81A fireman. He told of working a troup train from Kensington to somewhere in the west in the bad winter of 1962/63 and being stopped a tNorth Pole Junction for a while. 

When he went to the box to obey Rule 55, a squaddy hung out of the window and asked "where the f**k are we?" "North Pole mate" came the reply. "Very bloody funny" said the squaddy.

• Like 4
  • Funny 2