1960s paint tin sizes

steve1

Bit obscure this one, but does anyone here know the dimensions of commercial paint tins, as would be available in the 1960s.

I'm assuming the came in Imperial sizes and that tins would have been in pints and gallons.

Any help useful as I am making some in 7mm for Millicent Street.

Thanks!

steve

• RMweb Gold

I have never heard of this brand but at least its advert gives the sizes of its tins! OK it is for the handyman, not a trade product, but size-wise they would have probably gone a bit higher - say to half a gallon.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/File:Im195612PH-Walpamur.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steve1 said:

Bit obscure this one, but does anyone here know the dimensions of commercial paint tins, as would be available in the 1960s.

I'm assuming the came in Imperial sizes and that tins would have been in pints and gallons.

Any help useful as I am making some in 7mm for Millicent Street.

Thanks!

steve

Steve, it so happens, Sisson's Paints was my first job when I left school April 1964.  The smallest size was 1/8 pint, then 1/4, 1/2, 1 pint, Quart, half gallon and one gallon, and from what I recall all went out boxed or crated. I'm sure if you contact one of the long established paint company's they will be able to tell you the actual tin size in inches.  

• Thanks 1