O gauge Layout Advice

GWR-Kris

Im new to O Gauge but currently have an OO Gauge and N Gauge Layouts

I have a 7' x 11' room with a shelf approx 1' wide all the way round im hoping to use as my O gauge layout, I was thinking of a dual track most likely R2 outer, and R1 inner circuit with one siding. Im only going to be running panniers maybe some MK1 stock or autocoaches on Peco SL-700BH. My questions are as follows

• Is there any templates for getting the corners correct
  • what gap should I have between the lines

Any other tips and advice? Thank you all

• RMweb Premium

Worth skimming through the 7mm section as there seems to be a new thread on this every couple of months and all say the same things.

I'm afraid 11ft is pretty small for a plank, let alone a circuit. A shed with light engines or a small industrial scene are most typical for that size.

It sounds like you want a continuous run type of layout?  If so, and you are limited to 7' in width, then your curves will be 3' radius at the most.  This will limit you to very small, industrial type locos e.g Minerva Peckett or Dapol Sentinel with 4 wheel coaches and wagons.  An industrial or light railway perhaps?

If you want Panniers, autocoaches etc  then it would have to be a small branch line terminus (BLT) and short fiddleyard along one wall.  I've attached a plan of a K&ESR based layout designed for a limited space. Hope this helps.

Ray.

Dallington road.jpg

• Like 3

My tip on that space, if I wanted a circuit, would be to go coarse-scale 0, which can accommodate 24” radius curves if you wanted to go that tight, and if you want things to look preposterous, you can get a 9F round that. It does look less preposterous with more modest trains though.

You can get a nice auto coach too.

http://www.wjvintage.co.uk/product/autocoaches-suitable-for-the-gwr-0-4-2t-48xx14xx/

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, birdseyecircus said:

I think end to end rather than a circuit is best suited to your space.

Info here re the autocoach radius:

Pail

I agree re end to end being the way to go, having just made the jump from 4mm to 7mm, I was surprised how much I had under estimated I would get in the space I had (5ft x 18 inch scenic area + small FY). 

Hi All

Thank you for the advice and links. Yeah I realise space is tight for what i want this is why i bow down to your superior knowledge, :victory: think I may stick to a single line, I was just after something simple nothing fancy or too complicated. Just to run a couple of locos max. Most of my stock will be dapols RTR panniers and wagons. I may for go the mk1 and autocoaches if they will not work on a R2

I decided to draw up what space I have available and a basic loop using peco set track. Is there any other options for set track that would be suitable for uk o gauge? Im thinking i may have to use R1 corners if it wish to get a loop in to fit the space.

Capture.JPG

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, GWR-Kris said:

I decided to draw up what space I have available and a basic loop using peco set track. Is there any other options for set track that would be suitable for uk o gauge? Im thinking i may have to use R1 corners if it wish to get a loop in to fit the space.

This all depends on what your looking to run. I’ve modelled O gauge for a few years and whole-heartedly agree with the earlier comments.

Are you looking at small industrial steam, big four/BR steam or modern traction either early diesel or modern day? Are you thinking of RTR or kit built? If you can fill in some of the details the various guys on here can probably help.

Rich

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, GWR-Kris said:

I decided to draw up what space I have available and a basic loop using peco set track. Is there any other options for set track that would be suitable for uk o gauge?

Depending on what you intend running, your options for set track are Peco R1 curves, Lenz R1& R2 curves, or ETS 627 mm curves. On a 1' wide shelf the maximum curve is about 28" (711 mm), which is too tight for anything much bigger than a Sentinel Shunter, unless you are prepared to go coarse scale.

This is ETS track on the simulated corner of two 1' wide boards...

IMG_0258.JPG.3235cb82170f3f1352807e31be77e815.JPG

And with a Sentinel Shunter and a couple of wagons...

IMG_0259.JPG.90467155814347d41c63980aad07a0f3.JPG

With coarse scale you could manage 6-wheel coaches..

IMG_0260.JPG.94d18baec21b0d4f1d185ff1f38830f6.JPG

And there is scope to squeeze in a bit of shunting action..

IMG_0261.JPG.f55ccadb7c4ef0e5b840cb768b155d8c.JPG

In the space available you are going to have to make compromises, but you do need to decide what you intend to run before deciding which compromises are right for you. If you want to run Dapol locomotives you really need R2 curves.

I have used the peco set track points on my micro 6ft by 18 inches. I use 15ft long wagons that have a 9ft WB with small industrial locos and I have had to modify couplings to get things to work.  IMHO you are walkng into the house of pain if you want to go round.  I have attached a phot of  my efforts  but if you want to go round I would say a minimum of 4ft6 better at 5ft+.  The track plan is the mirror of the one shown.

Marc

Boggs@workington 2019 c.jpg

microlayout.jpg

nov 13 2019.jpg

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Furness Wagon said:

IMHO you are walkng into the house of pain if you want to go round.  I have attached a phot of  my efforts  but if you want to go round I would say a minimum of 4ft6 better at 5ft+.  The track plan is the mirror of the one shown.

The room is 7' x 11' so for a roundy-round the curves need to very tight.

16 hours ago, MarshLane said:

This all depends on what your looking to run. I’ve modelled O gauge for a few years and whole-heartedly agree with the earlier comments.

Are you looking at small industrial steam, big four/BR steam or modern traction either early diesel or modern day? Are you thinking of RTR or kit built? If you can fill in some of the details the various guys on here can probably help.

Rich

I think there is a big difference between what I would like to run and what I can run this is why im asking here before I start purchasing track and locos.

My plan was to only Run things like panniers from Dapol their 57xx and 14xx. I would like a Heljan 2-6-2t tank but I think that may be pushing things. Based on earlier comments I think I will limit myself to open wagons, all locos and wagons will be GWR, Im not looking to build from kits as I dont have the time currently. I hope this helps.

• RMweb Premium

I find these discussions interesting. While I agree if you are determined to go the fine scale route you will be limited to a short terminal to fiddle yard station - perhaps a light railway terminal, 11 feet gives more than sufficient length for a true scale model of Wantage (WTC) "Upper yard" with a fiddle yard of about 3 feet behind the gasworks (or in front - depends on the viewing side!).

However, if you are prepared to countenance the use of coarser track standards you can get a double track circuit in with a bit more. My own layout - working title "Gutter Lane" - is in a room 11ft 6in by 7ft 6in (Maxima) and is shown in this plan -

1726246827_GutterLane010.jpg.513ecbd2d94d76b5f542314cd476e126.jpg

I can happily run aq 4-4-0 or 2-6-0 with three coaches or 6 wagons - and when in play mode the "Duke of Gloucester", "Mallard" or "Flying Scotsman" can be seen.

IMG_0495.jpg.d97897c8350ae9672c6686ceb633b43a.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg.d14a96f64b8fb3add4ac348719c30ca1.jpg

The track is "Atlas" O-54 (27 inch radius) - the "0" gauge equivalent of Hornby Dublo.

I find it fun - and that is what counts. You must be very clear what you want - don't just follow the dogma (either way).

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Like 2

Here's some photos for your consideration, but first some back story :- my layout is American O scale in 17ft x 8ft, with an oval and curve radius of 3ft. With US stock & Kadee couplers this is entirely workable with long, modern outline models.

The photos are of some of my British O models posed on a 3ft radius curve. As you will see the Minerva Pannier sits on the track fine, so will the Dapol Pannier. The rolling stock is a mix of modern Dapol tanker, a kit (Parkside I think) box van, and old Lima 16t mineral & Toad brake van. They do couple up in various combinations, but note the compressed buffers between the Pannier & tanker. The Lima models have fixed buffers but can still work, but sprung buffers - even more than sprung couplers - are really the best option.

So the models you plan will go around 3ft radius curves. How they might behave on setrack points I don't know; I don't have any and my British O layout uses standard Peco 6ft radius points. 

20201120_181508.jpg.89fd66e7a6bee897eb53de191a45a0ea.jpg

20201120_181844.jpg.07d9d5acf2e889ed458d3d12d43b95e9.jpg

20201120_181531.jpg.0bb535f643719f9e442c7c9ea4867f93.jpg

• Like 2

Hi both, thank you for that. It seems to me there is mixed opinions on this topic and so many variables that can effect if it will work or not.

Is it best to go for flexi track or the set track? From what i read Set track seems to have more room for play, where flexi has tighter tolerances. Can you get Peco R1 curves?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

There are no R1 curves.  My layout uses all Setrack, the only issues are with proelling through reverse curves through a crossover, although I have shortened the curved sections of the points to reduce curvature and decrease track spacing.

401227483_paneermonday.jpg.0344b9f0ee66b17393c5ba7a4a9032f3.jpg

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, GWR-Kris said:

I think there is a big difference between what I would like to run and what I can run this is why im asking here before I start purchasing track and locos.

My plan was to only Run things like panniers from Dapol their 57xx and 14xx. I would like a Heljan 2-6-2t tank but I think that may be pushing things. Based on earlier comments I think I will limit myself to open wagons, all locos and wagons will be GWR, Im not looking to build from kits as I dont have the time currently. I hope this helps.

Hi Kris,

A couple of others have already replied to your query, But yes as ever there is always a difference between what we like to come and what we can. However, I tend to start with what I would like and then establish what is viable. At the end of the day if the layout and locos are not what you want, then you’ll get fed up with it.  As others have said the Panniers should be fine, although I would make sure I am pulling not propelling around those curves. I would agree that the Heljan Prairie may be pushing it, id need to look up what tHe minimum radius is, as it could be things like steps that are the actual problem as they may stop the bogie wheels from turning.

The Minerva and Dapol four-wheel wagons should be fine.

A lot depends on what you actually want, how realistic you want it to be and whether what you are able to run fulfil your aims for the layout. For example I know a continuous run is obviously a priority for you, but is this layout planned to be more scenic and accurate, or more train set based? I use the latter term loosely, and nothing wrong with either, but if you are trying to keep accurate to the real railway, it will, in my view, look very wrong, unless your in something like an industrial setting. So what has the higher priority. It’s your layout so only you can decide, but working out what you want may be the best way to getting a layout your happy with and enjoy.

Rich

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you @MarshLane some sound advice. Yes in my ideal world i would love to have an A4 and full rake of coaches but that will certainly not happen with the space I have :lol:

For now im not after anything fancy just something to run a loco and rolling stock, maybe a siding or two. I would add scenery at some point however I just want to get something up any running however i wanted to ensure that i could get something to fit and work in the space provided before i make the investment in the track. Thank you all I think I have the answers I need to start building something. I really appricate everyones advise.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Just to say thank you for all the advice. I managed to fit a simple loop in the space that I had with one siding.  Had to make some compromises however i'm happy with the outcome. I doubt I will be able to top and tail autocoaches due to buffer lock if a wagon is pushed but not the end of the world.

Have a good christmas.

IMG_20201223_233011_1.jpg

• Like 6

On 20/11/2020 at 09:47, GWR-Kris said:

Capture.JPG

If you are willing to increase the depth of one of the long sides, you might get yourself a little shunting yard/scene inside the loop.

Another option is to run a siding off the curve towards the corner for an engine shed, siding or goods shed scene.

Think Hornby Track-Mat type design.

If you want to maximise the length of the loop, you might consider re-hanging the door of the room so it swings outward or perhaps have a sliding door installation.

Edited by hartleymartin