Bachmann Derby Lightweight with Legomanbiffo sound.

hucknall byron

To carry out a complete reset, you must switch off the power supply for a few seconds immediately after writing value 8 to CV8 or lift the locomotive off the track.

The value 8 is only saved temporarily. When reading out, the manufacturer's code will always appear.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, hucknall byron said:

Just had one more look at this before getting it looked at by someone more knowledgeable than me ( not hard). I have tried a cv reset again but despite several attempts at cv8 to 8 my powercab keeps reading 151 and refuses to change to 8. Am i doing something wrong?

After the reset try reading the decoder's address. It should have reset to 3.

Andi

• Thanks 1

On 17/11/2020 at 16:57, charliepetty said:

As the decoder is 4 Years old, it has probably failed, possibly due to a spike in current.  But there is a chance that a speaker could have come adrift and shorted out.

See my PM re a replacement.   Charlie-Legomanbiffo

Hi, just a quick question ref decoders 4yrs plus old, should we be expecting failure even if the chip has protection after that time or is that based on regular / daily use ?

Thanks

Edited by Chrisr40
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

We sell hundreds of ESU decoders per month and honestly this is rare, but it does happen. What we don't know when answering general questions is:

How the decoder is fitted & insulated (Older Bachmann circuit board could short out the decoders if not insulated between them.

How the speakers are insulated & fitted.

How old the decoder actually is (I have had in about 4 years does not mean its 4 years old)

How many hours the decoder has ran for, some application have unsealed speakers, especially in unmodified Bachmann locos, thus the volume is normally on full, just to hear them. Just listen to the new speaker fitted Bachmann locos recently released, these are very quiet, even on full volume!!

Most speaker failures I see are dead shorts across the speaker terminals, thus the decoder works, but NO sound.

So seeing and testing them is really the only way, all ESU decoders have a 2 Year Warranty.

Charlie-Legomanbiffo

Edited by charliepetty
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 17/11/2020 at 12:27, hucknall byron said:

During a recent running session the model derailed and a crackling sound came out of the speaker. Now the model will run but i cant get the sound to function. Has anyone any ideas on what might have happened and is there a remedy? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Just looking at this model, sadly the Bare Speaker Terminals (3Volts) are less than 2mm from the track, thus on a derailment IF these terminals touch the track (16V) then we get a crackling sound.

IE Blowing up the amplifier.    Insulating tape or better fitting would have prevented this.

Charlie

DSC_0663.JPG.96756f5796928eb68a48f9fae375dc1d.JPG

DSC_0660.JPG

• Informative/Useful 2