Good Quality Vice Recommendations

I've got one of these and they are really good. They are clones of far more expensive Swiss made vices:

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Precision-Bench-Vice-prcode-997-1080?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhs79BRD0ARIsAC6XpaW7dHsnhJoawimoXy-r1WufiUIDSvQvxtvNnxtevc6TJIPX4GTYiCsaAqK7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

There's a mounting plate that you screw to your work bench (or to a board) and the vice slides in with a locking lever to hold it in place. 

• Agree 5

When I bought my first property the previous owner left a large Record vice in the shed, this has been with me for over 40 years now and was shocked to find they are well over £100 now. For my railway/work room I bought a very heavy 4" vice exceptionally cheaply from Lidl, think it was £10 or £15, whilst not engineering quality does everything I want for 4 & 7mm modelling

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

I've got one of these and they are really good. They are clones of far more expensive Swiss made vices:

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Precision-Bench-Vice-prcode-997-1080?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhs79BRD0ARIsAC6XpaW7dHsnhJoawimoXy-r1WufiUIDSvQvxtvNnxtevc6TJIPX4GTYiCsaAqK7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

There's a mounting plate that you screw to your work bench (or to a board) and the vice slides in with a locking lever to hold it in place. 

It looks like the jaws can be replaced on this - is that right? As far as I can tell it's exactly the same as the one Eileen's sell for £90 (Cookson for £74.57 with postage). 

Dave Bradwell told me he got one of these (from Cookson) that was a dud, and a second that he still had to fettle ("required dismantling and filing and is still  not there yet"). He recommended (a) getting the real deal Swiss tool that this is a copy of for £200, or failing that (b) actually going to Cookson to inspect if possible, but given the current situation, you're buying on a wing and a prayer. 

Here's my vice, a Record No2, 3/12ins jaws. My wife bought me it from the local "Junk Shop" for less then a "Tenner", being a strong Yorkshire Lass see also carried it home.  I have used it for 2mm up to 3/8ins scales, also handy for domestic repair jobs.

Moral of story, before spending Mega Bucks look around.

VICE 1 .JPG

VICE 2 .JPG

I've got a Record Number 3, had it for years, but it lives on the dirty bench in the garage. It's great, and excellent quality, but too big and dirty for my workbench upstairs in the man cave. Just after a little vice for smaller, cleaner work. 

I had a little Record/Irwin vice but it was dreadful. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, micknich2003 said:

Here's my vice, a Record No2, 3/12ins jaws. My wife bought me it from the local "Junk Shop" for less then a "Tenner", being a strong Yorkshire Lass see also carried it home.  I have used it for 2mm up to 3/8ins scales, also handy for domestic repair jobs.

I've met her Mick! 

Serrated jaws to be avoided for our work though, surely?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 2mm Andy said:

Cousins sell a similar vice to the Cookson Gold one;

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/screw-down-1-45mm-jaw-watchmakers

I don't have one myself so can't comment on the quality.

Andy

Looks exactly the same as Cookson's/Eileen's for half/a third of the price. Might be worth a punt. I notice they also sell the Swiss one that these are copied off. 

Edited by Daddyman

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, micknich2003 said:

VICE 1 .JPG

VICE 2 .JPG

Mrs MN carried THAT home??  Serious respect.

A word of advice .....don't ever get in the way of of a right hook....

• Agree 2

16 minutes ago, micknich2003 said:

David, I have a pair of Copper Clams for fine work.

I use a couple of short lengths of aluminium angle with another pair fitted with some self-adhesive felt.  If they get to worn I just cut another couple of pieces.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, 5050 said:

I use a couple of short lengths of aluminium angle with another pair fitted with some self-adhesive felt. 

I have the same, though mine have cork tile glued to them - dense and flat, and not slippy

17 minutes ago, polybear said:

I have the same, though mine have cork tile glued to them - dense and flat, and not slippy

Good idea, I'll try that!  Plenty of ally angle left after an abortive idea of making fiddle cassettes.

My vice is a 'Record Imp No. 80'.  A 3" clamp on type with removeable/reversable jaws.  Plenty solid enough for 4mm work (and some household duties too!) and, being clamp on, doesn't take up workspace unnecessarily.  I've had it for MANY years and it's still solid.  Worth paying for a good reliable brand IMHO.

Edited by 5050

6 hours ago, polybear said:

Mrs MN carried THAT home??  Serious respect.

A word of advice .....don't ever get in the way of of a right hook....

5 hours ago, 5050 said:

Good idea, I'll try that!  Plenty of ally angle left after an abortive idea of making fiddle cassettes.

My vice is a 'Record Imp No. 80'.  A 3" clamp on type with removeable/reversable jaws.  Plenty solid enough for 4mm work (and some household duties too!) and, being clamp on, doesn't take up workspace unnecessarily.  I've had it for MANY years and it's still solid.  Worth paying for a good reliable brand IMHO.

Oh, and if you want quality and heavy duty, then Record vices!! Although I did pick up a small bench mounted 2 1/2" at a car boot for a fiver which is amazing quality, as in the jaws are parallel!! Pot luck really!

Regards

Deano

59 minutes ago, Deano747 said:

Oh, and if you want quality and heavy duty, then Record vices!! Although I did pick up a small bench mounted 2 1/2" at a car boot for a fiver which is amazing quality, as in the jaws are parallel!! Pot luck really!

Regards

Deano

Many years ago I bought a small Record vice which I still have in a cupboard. It was necessary to screw it down to a small bench which made it very inconvenient to use. I now use a jewellers vice  acquired from Eileen which is better in a confined space. Sometimes I use a machine vice for very small items or a hand held vice. A pair of pliers can be useful too. 

It's a good idea to have a number of options available but the 4mm modeller shouldn't need anything but small equipment. 

79503.jpg

Edited by PenrithBeacon