How are 20ft containers stacked on trains?

TEAMYAKIMA

3 hours ago, Dagworth said:

Thanks for the link 

C Rail did some transfers and I did a 40' container, as the carrier involved was my then employer (I'd just moved back into corporate though)

DSCN1303web.jpg.eeed255ab6fd47182256476554dca127.jpg

Containers don't - obviously - suit Blacklade , so this recent shot was the first time the boxes had been out of their box in about a decade. If this train has a marked Grand Alliance /Southampton flavour, that's not a co-incidence.....

Obviously weathering the 66 has been a long way down the list of modelling priorities

• Like 1

13 hours ago, peach james said:

I don't think so- I think that's a 8' wide, 9' high x20' container.  (2.5*39/12= 8'1")  - there are 8', 8'6" and 9' containers.  

James

IF the code can be read - which is on both side and end - then the size can be looked up on https://www.bic-code.org/size-and-type-code/

As you say this  2DG1 is 9ft high and 20ft long. 

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

On 24/11/2020 at 21:41, Andy Hayter said:

The point about these containers is standardisation of lengths and width.  This allows them to be swapped onto any vehicle and be stacked on board a ship.  

Almost. It's the dimensions of where the actual ISO castings are. A palletwide or a eurobox can be over normal length and width, say a 45 for example, but the ISO casting (where a twistlock attaches) are at exactly the same place as a standard deep sea 40HC.

http://www.matts-place.com/intermodal/part4/cldu9615390.jpg

If you look at the yellow painted castings, they're recessed a bit so that they line up with the standard ISO dimensions

On 26/11/2020 at 19:42, Andy Hayter said:

45fts fit the 40ft specification regarding the positioning of the uprights to allow multiple stacking.  I am not sure how shipping lines handle them though - I could imagine they are a problem.  

Not sure what a Europallet box is - but then we never used Europallets in the chemical industry.  I had always thought that Europallets fitted well inside conventional ISO boxes.  

Cunningly, on most of the chemical jobs I do at least, people order in batches of 80 drums. Which fits perfectly 4 drums wide, 2 drums tall, 10 drums deep in a standard 20ft box and doesn't overload them either. IBC's are a little bit more awkward as they're mostly based on a UK pallet.

1.1.3-Palettenbreit-40-fuss-NEU-1.jpg

That link shows the difference between a standard and a palletwide box best I think?

Edited by lankyphil
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

To the best of my knowledge after 10 years delivering containers  there are no 9' tall containers only 8'6" and 9'6". There are some 9'6" tall 20' containers about but not many, one removals company used them for a while a few years back but I haven't seen any in their colours for a while.

Pete

Edited by Stormbringer
additional info
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 6 months later...
On 22/11/2020 at 17:11, Andy Hayter said:

IFF?  There's a name to conjure with.  IIRC taken over by UBC in the 90s.  Blue and white went to red and yellow.

30fters were designed specifically for short haul dry bulk goods - plastics, chemicals, cereals etc. - and the number of participants in the market were consequently limited.  A few more participants to throw into the mix - Schmidt, UBC, Talke, Bruhn

Coming to this very late, I know; but I think that IFF was founded in the 1960s as a general freight operation (the initials stood for International Ferry  Freight), but quite quickly got into bulk containers. At some point, they were taken over and the founders moved on to found IBC (International Bulk Containers,  I assume). A few years later, IFF and IBC merged to form United Bulk Containers, or UBC.

UBC used to have a "history" section on their website, which is where I got this from. I'm pretty sure that I printed it out severalyears ago, but I can't find it anywhere in my sophisticated filing system (I.e. piles of stuff).

Jim

56 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

Coming to this very late, I know; but I think that IFF was founded in the 1960s as a general freight operation (the initials stood for International Ferry  Freight), but quite quickly got into bulk containers. At some point, they were taken over and the founders moved on to found IBC (International Bulk Containers,  I assume). A few years later, IFF and IBC merged to form United Bulk Containers, or UBC.

UBC used to have a "history" section on their website, which is where I got this from. I'm pretty sure that I printed it out severalyears ago, but I can't find it anywhere in my sophisticated filing system (I.e. piles of stuff).

Jim

Weren't IBC part of the same group that included Initial and Rentokil?