Slope sided mineral wagons

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

Were slope sided mineral wagons a special use vehicle? Any information about these wagons would gratefully received.

Trawling the internet did not reveal a great deal except to mention the fact that Bachmann offer a model.

Thanks

What is referred to as a slope sided mineral wagon is in effect the Charles Roberts prewar design of all steel mineral wagon and as such is nothing special. In 1939 these were uprated from 14 ton to 16 ton load.

They were built as per the Bachmann/Parkside kit for Denaby and Rothervale prewar and during the war for the Ministry of Transport. The MoT ones became the BR diagram 1/100 wagons. During the war Stewarts and Lloyds of Corby had a fleet built but as tipplers. The LNER had a 20 ton version for loco coal.

Had the railways not been nationalised these would have been built for other private owners as the drawings for both 16 ton and 21 ton versions exist at the NRM.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Resurrecting this topic. Can anyone help with the identity of the slope sided loco coal wagon in the background of this Anthony M S Darnbrough shot at York c.1954 please?

c.1954 - York.

Many thanks,

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

As mentioned in the second post, it was an LNER loco coal wagon : Diagram 125, numbers 208483 to 208662 built by Charles Roberts in 1937. ( may still be in LNER grey - its a LOT darker than the adjacent wagon)

Thanks Wickham Green. Much appreciated. I've seen the straight sided diagram 207s, but wasn't aware of these. I'm sure I'll see them pop up everywhere now!

Early BR grey varied a lot, but as you suggest both wagons to the left do look like they are still wearing LNER grey.

Regards,

Simon

• Like 1