Revision to eBay seller fees

ianmacc

23 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Same concerns here, more so that I used the PayPal income to pay the Royal Mail for the postage through their Click and Drop system (I wouldn't touch the Ebay postage purchase system with a twenty metre cattle prod...).

Now I face the potential faff of having to transfer funds from Ebay sales back into PayPal from my bank account to pay out the postage!!  Also I will NOT dispatch under any circumstances until payment has been cleared and is in my hands.

Many I reckon will still pay through PayPal anyway, it is too established.  It will be newcomers to Ebay who will be effectively shepherded towards the new Ebay money management system.

What method the buyer chooses is immaterial - you will still be paid into your bank account by eBay. The payment is not made direct to you, it's made to eBay, who then pay you. You might have noticed that when purchasing now you get a receipt for authorising a payment to eBay, not a particular seller.

• Agree 2

On 24/02/2021 at 15:31, Alcanman said:

Just had my first experience of the new Ebay payment system. Went smoothly enough, but had to wait a few days for payment to actually arrive in my bank account. 

Item sold on Sunday 21st Feb and prompt payment by buyer. I posted the item on Monday 22nd Feb as requested by Ebay. On Tuesday 23rd notified by Ebay that payment was on it's way to my bank. Money arrived today in my bank account.

I guess this is the way it will be if we want to continue selling on Ebay. I don't buy and sell at lot of stuff so I'm not too bothered. I'll just wait till the £1 fees are offered by Ebay.

My second experience this week of the new E-bay payment system, except it was a £1 fee. Worked exactly as above and this week £1 fees offered again so I'm quite happy to start selling more items. So far, so good.

On 04/03/2021 at 17:11, John M Upton said:

Now I face the potential faff of having to transfer funds from Ebay sales back into PayPal from my bank account to pay out the postage!! 

If there are insufficient funds you can set things up so PayPal debit you bank account (or creditor debit card) automatically. No faff at all.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I bought two job lots on eBay this evening.   Had them in the one basket then when I tried to pay I got a message saying the purchases would be split into two lots as one seller was on managed payments, and inviting me to pay for Lot 1 only.   Followed the link to pay for lot 1 via Paypal and got a black page.    Tried again and second time round I was able to pay but the hour glass is showing on eBay as payment pending and there is a message on Paypal "This is a temporary authorisation to make sure your funding source will cover the payment. Your funding source will be charged when eBay completes your order."     Then I paid for the second item and it went through straight away without giving me the option of "pay after delivery" which I would normally have used with Paypal.  I am becoming somewhat disillusioned with eBay.

On 22/02/2021 at 12:37, Quarryscapes said:

I've been on Managed Payments since September. It looked like a good idea, but in practice it's meant going from 13% of total sale price going out in fees to 23%, forcing a price increase. 

Please ignore.

Many thanks

Paddy

Edited by Paddy

On 06/03/2021 at 10:18, Sir TophamHatt said:

While also a faff, you could always open a basic bank account and use that purely for ebay money in and out.

Just make sure it has no overdraft or anything.

That's exactly how I receive BACS payments; an independent account with published details for BACS payments, which is electronically emptied immediately payments are made.

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 05/03/2021 at 21:37, cessna152towser said:

I bought two job lots on eBay this evening.   Had them in the one basket then when I tried to pay I got a message saying the purchases would be split into two lots as one seller was on managed payments, and inviting me to pay for Lot 1 only.   Followed the link to pay for lot 1 via Paypal and got a black page.    Tried again and second time round I was able to pay but the hour glass is showing on eBay as payment pending and there is a message on Paypal "This is a temporary authorisation to make sure your funding source will cover the payment. Your funding source will be charged when eBay completes your order."     Then I paid for the second item and it went through straight away without giving me the option of "pay after delivery" which I would normally have used with Paypal.  I am becoming somewhat disillusioned with eBay.

This and other silly rules are annoying a few, indeed like re signing in when already signed on, reversing some lines of the address on the postage label, having to fill in every facet of the item you're selling even thought most of them are irrelevant, and that's not counting........  

• Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's been a while since I've sold anything on eBay as I only sell occasionally.  Are people in my position being moved to managed payments?  I've not received any notification about it.

My wife is giving up eBay selling as she's very reluctant to grant eBay access to her bank account.

Mark

On 06/03/2021 at 10:18, Sir TophamHatt said:

While also a faff, you could always open a basic bank account and use that purely for ebay money in and out.

Just make sure it has no overdraft or anything.

I have a First Direct account for this exact purpose. Now having to disclose account details to ebay I was advised by the helpful First Direct staff member to use the details for the automatically linked savings account. This account can only be paid into and not directly pay out of. Those funds have to be internally (by yourself anytime instantly) transferred to the general account in order to access the funds making them safer. 

• Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
On 14/04/2021 at 17:24, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

I have a First Direct account for this exact purpose. Now having to disclose account details to ebay I was advised by the helpful First Direct staff member to use the details for the automatically linked savings account. This account can only be paid into and not directly pay out of. Those funds have to be internally (by yourself anytime instantly) transferred to the general account in order to access the funds making them safer. 

Its not happened to me yet, how do you pay any selling fees, assuming you sell something on ebay ?

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Its not happened to me yet, how do you pay any selling fees, assuming you sell something on ebay ?

Not sure I still have Paypal as the automatic payment method so just presuming it will be taken along that route. Pain to the rear so selling will become less frequent and possibly single items now as well due to an experience yesterday.

I purchased two items from the same seller and they were unable to combine the P&P costs. They did not even have an invoice option, or at least that what it appears from the screen shot. So they refunded the different via Paypal. That is fine, especially for the buyer but the seller then still will be hit by eBay for the total prices plus 2x postage not the actual amount.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

As I understand it, eBay will collect the seller fees from the proceeds of sale and pay the balance into your chosen bank account after deducting their fees.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

As I understand it, eBay will collect the seller fees from the proceeds of sale and pay the balance into your chosen bank account after deducting their fees.

Yes sorry, that is correct. I totally forgot. I have sold an item recently and they take the money for fees before then releasing the remaining to the chosen bank account.

I was initially referring to paying for items bought rather than sold, apologies for the confusion.

Edited by Bluemonkey presents....
I'm a Muppet.
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Bluemonkey presents.... said:

Yes sorry, that is correct. I totally forgot. I have sold an item recently and they take the money for fees before then releasing the remaining to the chosen bank account.

Ok, so they arent dipping into your bank account then ?

How do returns work ?

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Ok, so they arent dipping into your bank account then ?

How do returns work ?

Correct not taking direct from your account.

I do not know from experience regarding returns but I presume that remains a Paypal refund, given that the majority are Paypal payments. I do not know how they propose refund of fees taken for the sale though.

I also have no direct experience of how they take for the initial listing fee (should there be one).

• RMweb Premium

I really like the managed payments. They’ve made the payout quicker, I sold an item on Sunday, and had the money on Tuesday. Having the fees netted off at source is great. Just set up a debit card in your PayPal for buying postage etc. 

I can see it’s less good if you kept your PayPal balance for purchases, but personally I always transferred out immediately anyway. 

3 hours ago, njee20 said:

I really like the managed payments. They’ve made the payout quicker, I sold an item on Sunday, and had the money on Tuesday. Having the fees netted off at source is great. Just set up a debit card in your PayPal for buying postage etc. 

I can see it’s less good if you kept your PayPal balance for purchases, but personally I always transferred out immediately anyway. 

But previously when a sale was made and paid for via Paypal the money was available to transfer to my bank account almost instantly. How is waiting from Sunday until Tuesday for the money to hit your account quicker?

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Three days for funds to clear and reach your account is ridiculous in this day and age. 

What next? The return of the chequebook?

Welcome back to the 1980's...

Ludicrous!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, forest2807 said:

But previously when a sale was made and paid for via Paypal the money was available to transfer to my bank account almost instantly. How is waiting from Sunday until Tuesday for the money to hit your account quicker?

Sorry, quicker than It was when they introduced managed payments, which was 3-4 days. It’s now 2. PayPal give you a bridging loan until the funds clear. It means you can spend the money straight away, but they can still take it back should the payment bounce. 

Perhaps I’m fortunate that I never need the money within 48 hours, but I’ve had two sales this week, two separate lots totalling £230; I received £228.30 in my account, and one for £375, and I received £374 in my account. With PayPal that wound have incurred £21 in fees, and an extra 30p in eBay fees; they now discount multiple purchases even on £1 listing offers. YMMV, but I’ll wait 48 hours to not give a chunk of my money away. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Three days for funds to clear and reach your account is ridiculous in this day and age. 

What next? The return of the chequebook?

Welcome back to the 1980's...

Ludicrous!

Absolutely, but that’s driven by the banks. Suits them to sit on the money for a bit!

10 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Absolutely, but that’s driven by the banks. Suits them to sit on the money for a bit!

10 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Yes, but how much is Ebay making by sitting on your money for those extra few days?!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Well the wife had an two Identical items not arrive (sent together). She contacted seller who sent replacements that arrived around 10 days ago.she then marked items as received and left 5 star feedback as pleased with service.

Today she received two refunds (one for each item) from eBay. She paid by PayPal, but the payment and refunds all show as an @ebay.co.uk email address so she cannot even resend the money direct...