Revision to eBay seller fees

ianmacc

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, SGP said:

All sorted now. Managed to get a one to one telephone call with eBay. I paid them on my credit card although it was a bit naughty on their part .... I had listed an item for free that didn't sell. They automatically re-listed it twice before I sorted out how to take the listing down. For the two automatic re-listings (which I thought I had opted out of on the original listing) they charged me 2x 35p. I only wanted £4 for the item. Not worth the bother of selling as I'd have been in the negative with postage if it had sold. Re-listings should be inclusive (in this case free) especially if I am unaware of a re-listing.

Which is why I don't use free or £1 listings.  Most of my items are up for a while before finding a buyer.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 19/05/2021 at 07:04, SGP said:

Trying to get in touch with eBay is impossible, going round and round on menus or typing to an assistant giving no help at all.

Find their "contact us" and look near the bottom.  Choose the "hard of hearing?" link and it'll give you a form to fill in instead.

• Informative/Useful 1

I may have missed this and don't know if it's Brexit or eBay being morons but I've noticed offers are now EXCLUSIVE of VAT.

Even if I'm in the UK and the seller is in the UK, which makes the offer look very low in value.

Do I subtract the VAT and offer that or just offer what I want to pay and hope ebay charges the VAT inclusive?

5 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Delays on receiving payment could be more to do with bank processing which can take up to three days.

They should be using the faster payments system which is virtually instantaneous in most cases.

Maybe the eBay accounts are actually off-shore and take longer to transfer?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I am keeping an open mind on whether I will restart selling eventually under the new "managed payments" regime.    eBay now require shared access to a bank account.  My wife and I have a joint household account which I am unwilling to allow eBay to access and we each have our own Paypal accounts.

One possible solution.   I have a longstanding life long widower's pension from a previous wife who worked in the insurance industry and who died young, and this pays out about 25GBP per month after tax.   I had thought of having the monthly payments paid into a new separate account, which would then become my trains fund and which I would share with eBay.  The big SNAG though is that my wife and I only enjoy free banking on our household account by virtue of a certain minimum amount coming into that account every month.   I am wondering if it would be possible to obtain a free current bank account anywhere while only paying 25GBP per month into that account.   Incurring additional bank charges would be another disincentive to selling on eBay.

22 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

my wife and I only enjoy free banking on our household account by virtue of a certain minimum amount coming into that account every month.   I am wondering if it would be possible to obtain a free current bank account anywhere while only paying 25GBP per month into that account.   Incurring additional bank charges would be another disincentive to selling on eBay.

So long as the new account is with a different bank you can usually satisfy the minimum funding requirements by shifting money around each month. It's a lot easier if you are happy with on-line banking.

It's usually more difficult to satisfy the minimum number of direct debits, across multiple accounts, that is often a requirement, but linking eBay will give you one extra DD. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Crosland said:

It's usually more difficult to satisfy the minimum number of direct debits, across multiple accounts, that is often a requirement, but linking eBay will give you one extra DD. 

Nah.  pay one of your bills out of the new account by D/D, preferably something that's a fixed amount and fund it by standing order from your normal a/c.  

There's usually a requirement to pay in at least £x a month.  Set up a standing order to transfer £x from account A to B the day after your pay comes in, and to transfer it back the following day.  It can look suspiciously like a symptom of teeming and lading or maybe money laundering, but if anybody does dig into it, they'll find you're not doing anything improper. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Nah.  pay one of your bills out of the new account by D/D, preferably something that's a fixed amount and fund it by standing order from your normal a/c.  

If you have already used up all your potential DDs on existing accounts requirements, you will need to sign up to one or more new services to create DDs for the new account. That's where the difficulty arises. We struggled with three accounts and joined the National Trust :) to get another DD. Then Santander made the 123 account a lot less attractive so we closed one.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The way round would be to use a savings account linked to your main account. You can move money out so it does not have too much in there and more to the point it is not possible to take a savings account into the red so adds protection if someone breaks into Ebay, again. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I signed up to the new payment arrangement last week and popped a couple of things on. Had a look for the listings yesterday and they have both sold and been paid but I got no alerts showing or e mails telling me. I'm sure this is easily fixed but obviously hasn't automatically carried over from before so worth flagging for anyone who has changed over but not tried selling yet.

• Thanks 1

Funnily enough i went over the other week however of the first things to sell after the change some went to managed payments. The others through PayPal still. These items were listed after the changeover so its a little odd to say the least why some went one way and others not. Also if they do go through to paypal you now get billed the charges on the spot rather than a monthly invoice, not an issue for me but something to be aware of too. I believe everyone is using managed payments now so it will be interesting to see how things go and see if these continue. 

44 minutes ago, G-DIMB said:

Funnily enough i went over the other week however of the first things to sell after the change some went to managed payments. The others through PayPal still. These items were listed after the changeover so its a little odd to say the least why some went one way and others not. Also if they do go through to paypal you now get billed the charges on the spot rather than a monthly invoice, not an issue for me but something to be aware of too. I believe everyone is using managed payments now so it will be interesting to see how things go and see if these continue. 

Listings created before you set up managed payments will use the old process so there will be a period of crossover until your old listings expire, sell or are relisted.

12 minutes ago, andyman7 said:

Listings created before you set up managed payments will use the old process so there will be a period of crossover until your old listings expire, sell or are relisted.

These were set up after i changed over hence the confusion as to why they went to paypal even though it stated payment was via managed payments when i made the listing. Ive got some more finishing tonight so i will see what happens then.

• Informative/Useful 1

Further to my post yesterday, i had 5 items end last night. 4 went through managed payments, 1 went through paypal! I can only assume they are still having technical issues.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/05/2021 at 20:04, Blandford1969 said:

The way round would be to use a savings account linked to your main account. You can move money out so it does not have too much in there and more to the point it is not possible to take a savings account into the red so adds protection if someone breaks into Ebay, again. 

I took three months out from eBay selling to see how others were reporting back on their experience and decided I would try to sign up to managed payments.

I opened a new savings account with my bank for this purpose and set up a small deposit and standing order.

Then when I tried to register with eBay, two problems, firstly I have used my middle name on the new bank account and eBay only lets me select my eBay name which is without the middle name.  Secondly the bank would not allow me to select this account for allowing access to eBay's Trusty partner as they do not allow third party access to this type of account.

So I have closed the savings account, taken back my deposit and cancelled the standing order.

It looks like eBay have lost my business.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• 3 weeks later...

I just had a read through the latest payments terms and conditions.  A law degree would have been very helpful.  I have no issue with them with holding a payment for an item sold but would not envisage selling goods in another country due the additional currency conversion fees as well as the increase in basic eBay fees.  I am indeed thankful that I sold the bulk of my collection earlier last year and will most likely only sell a handful of items in the future.   A friend does a roaring trade on eBay marketplace.

Why not just set up a normal free current account?

I dropped my middle name from loads of stuff now.  Only my original first ever bank account and the DVLA know it now.

Many banks don't have any requirements to hold an account (although many will push their subscription based / chargeable accounts).

On 15/08/2021 at 10:10, GWR-fan said:

I just had a read through the latest payments terms and conditions.  A law degree would have been very helpful.  I have no issue with them with holding a payment for an item sold but would not envisage selling goods in another country due the additional currency conversion fees as well as the increase in basic eBay fees.  I am indeed thankful that I sold the bulk of my collection earlier last year and will most likely only sell a handful of items in the future.   A friend does a roaring trade on eBay marketplace.

I think its the governments banking and money laundering rules, the world has gone mad,

My brother in Law lent his daughter some money to buy her first house, he not only had to confirm it was a private loan (plus a lot of red tape form filling, but then had to prove where the money came from. (sitting in a savings account seems not good enough !!) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 29/07/2021 at 14:18, cessna152towser said:

I opened a new savings account with my bank for this purpose and set up a small deposit and standing order.

Then when I tried to register with eBay, two problems, firstly I have used my middle name on the new bank account and eBay only lets me select my eBay name which is without the middle name.  Secondly the bank would not allow me to select this account for allowing access to eBay's Trusty partner as they do not allow third party access to this type of account.

So I have closed the savings account, taken back my deposit and cancelled the standing order.

It looks like eBay have lost my business.

I have been reading other forumites views of Managed Payments, some positive and some negative.   Having sat back and sold nothing on eBay since April, I wanted to give it another go as I have been making far fewer purchases over the summer and been missing buying job lots for spares and repair and then selling on.  Not that I made any profit, though Peters Spares will have done well from my purchases of wheels, couplings, buffers etc..    I just enjoyed as a retirement pastime the satisfaction of making broken old trains whole again and either keeping them for myself or selling them on as runners.  This morning I managed to open a basic bank current account with a token 25 pounds deposit and did not face either of the hurdles experienced back in July.

I received confirmation from eBay that I am now set up for Managed Payments and that I have set up a direct debit.    My internet banking shows no direct debit set up on this account.  I made a test purchase of an 00 wagon at 7.65 but eBay checkout did not give me the option of paying from this account, so I paid it by Paypal.   Can I ask for the benefit of experience of others already on the system please?   eBay's Trusty partner has access to the account until tomorrow, will they meantime set up the direct debit?   Or will I be asked to set up the direct debit when I make my first sale under the new system?  Is this account only for items which I sell and would I continue to use Paypal or debit card for purchases?

You can still use PayPal or card to pay for purchases, the linked bank account is for selling - payment of your sales takings less fees, and to be used for debiting customer refunds if you owe them and don't have a sales credit balance with ebay. You can set your PayPal account up so that it debits the same account for purchases if you wish.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

I have been reading other forumites views of Managed Payments, some positive and some negative.   Having sat back and sold nothing on eBay since April, I wanted to give it another go as I have been making far fewer purchases over the summer and been missing buying job lots for spares and repair and then selling on.  Not that I made any profit, though Peters Spares will have done well from my purchases of wheels, couplings, buffers etc..    I just enjoyed as a retirement pastime the satisfaction of making broken old trains whole again and either keeping them for myself or selling them on as runners.  This morning I managed to open a basic bank current account with a token 25 pounds deposit and did not face either of the hurdles experienced back in July.

I received confirmation from eBay that I am now set up for Managed Payments and that I have set up a direct debit.    My internet banking shows no direct debit set up on this account.  I made a test purchase of an 00 wagon at 7.65 but eBay checkout did not give me the option of paying from this account, so I paid it by Paypal.   Can I ask for the benefit of experience of others already on the system please?   eBay's Trusty partner has access to the account until tomorrow, will they meantime set up the direct debit?   Or will I be asked to set up the direct debit when I make my first sale under the new system?  Is this account only for items which I sell and would I continue to use Paypal or debit card for purchases?

The proceeds from the sale are paid directly into your bank account, I found payments into a PayPal account convenient but I did now and then transfer monies to my currant account to cover postage every now and them, so really its broad as its long, eBay seem to transfer on working days. The plus factor is the fees seem lower especially on offer weekends

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 01/09/2021 at 12:20, cessna152towser said:

Thanks for your helpful replies.  I sold 8 items, 7 by auction and 1 buy-it-now.   All the payments reached the new bank account on the day following sale. Result!  Six out of eight buyers have already posted positive feedback.

• Like 3