Soldering steel wire to brass

As part of my proposed wire-in-tube turnout actuation system, I shall need to join 0.5mm. dia. steel wire to 3.5mm. dia. brass rod.

The brass rod has been axially drilled 0.5mm. to a depth of 5.0mm., and I need to be able to solder the steel wire into the axial holes in the brass rod.

I seem to recall reading that soldering steel can be problematic - will there be problems with what I intend doing, if I use phosphoric acid or paste flux?

Any advice will be gratefully received.

John Isherwood.

You may well find it quite difficult (if not impossible) to get 0,5mm ø wire into a hole drilled 0,5mm ø. I would recommend opening the hole out slightly using, say, a 0,6mm ø drill which shouldn't be difficult. It will also give the solder somewhere to go.

If the steel wire will in fact go into the hole you have drilled, you could use Loctite 603 to fix it, just apply the tiniest drop (I use a pin to apply it) to the end of the steel wire and push it right home in the brass.

1 hour ago, bécasse said:

You may well find it quite difficult (if not impossible) to get 0,5mm ø wire into a hole drilled 0,5mm ø.

The wire does, in fact, enter the hole - albeit snugly.

Loctite 603 was going to be my fall-back option - with drilling, tapping and a grub screw as a measure of last resort!

John Isherwood.

1 minute ago, decauville1126 said:

Have you thought about just crimping it? Or Loctite and crimping maybe. Possibly worth a practical test.

3.5mm. dia. brass rod with an axial 0.5mm. dia. hole is a bit 'beefy' to crimp, I'd think.

The load on this joint will be axial, push / pull, with a movement of 2 - 3mm. I'd be worried that the available movement would be compromised if there was any 'slippage' within the crimping.

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I have managed to solder spring steel wire effectively using bakers fluid and a proper 60/40 solder. 

The wire needs to be well cleaned with emery then some ipa or similar since the surface tends to be  bit oily when new. 

2 minutes ago, Dave John said:

I have managed to solder spring steel wire effectively using bakers fluid and a proper 60/40 solder. 

The wire needs to be well cleaned with emery then some ipa or similar since the surface tends to be  bit oily when new. 

Thanks for that - very helpful.

Regards,

John Isherwood.