U K LOCOMOTIVE WHEEL WIDTH

mswjr

Hi All, Can anyone tell me a u,k locomotive wheel width please, I have looked online for an age, I can get the profile and tyre thickness etc, But not anything on the width, I am building a scale locomotive in 3 1/2 inch gauge, 3 1/2 inch gauge works out scale for 4ft 8inch , So i am ok for the in between width, But my model wheels will foul on the outside ,If i make them to model standards, I need to know what full size wheels are min and max so i can work out my wheels. Thanks Garry

My Loco is LION, An early loco, Doing it to scale, And everything is very close, I have all the works drawings, for the loco and tender so that is scale, But no info at all on the wheel width, I am hoping it is nearer 4 inch width, That would be better, Early locos may have had smaller width wheels, Just do not know .

According to G W M Sewell - North British Railway Study Group - Locomotive Design Survey - by 1865 the "standard" width of a loco wheel was 5½ inches, with a "standard" back-to-back of 4 ft 5½ in, although it was usual, at least on the NBR, to increase the back to back for the driven axle to 4 ft 5¾ in, with the reduced wheel width of 5⅜ inches to compensate.

• Informative/Useful 2