LNER/BR(E) p-way huts

russ p

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, russ p said:

I did a trip to York last week and found three type Ds 

Whitemoor drove near March,  Gainsborough trent junction and Beckingham on the joint line. They also have a door at each end

Hi Russ, 

Yep, the Type C & D had a door at each end. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Gilbert said:

Based on a photo of Llandudno Junction..but I'm no expert..

PMB Hut.JPG

Nice model. Could be a model of an LMS design, or a bit of a mish-mash of two designs. The LNER Type A had the chimney in that position (middle of back wall), but the hut was smaller with only one window. The Type C & D had two windows but with the chimney off-set towards one corner and not in the middle. The Type C & D are partioned, a part for messing facilities, the other half as a shed for tools/equipment (Type A only being used for messing facilities). 

Edited by iands
Typos
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 29/11/2020 at 20:17, Gilbert said:

Based on a photo of Llandudno Junction..but I'm no expert..

PMB Hut.JPG

There’s two very similar still extant on the MML. One just south of St Albans and one just at the North portal of Milford Tunnel, both on the down side. 

Also quite a lot of the old pway huts and one or two that I’m told were for fogmen. They certainly coincide with where you’d expect a distant signal to be. 

One of the benefits of being a “secondary,” line I guess ;-)

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

We have one at work (Ransomes, Ipswich), I wonder if it's installation was related to us being a private siding off the Felixstowe branch as we've never been railway property?  Somewhere I have some photos of it, working from home at the moment so can't pop out and take a photo.

Not far away is the remains of a scissors crossing embedded in the concrete at the end of the factory...

Martin

• Informative/Useful 2