D40 Brake Third Clerestory

Started to hack apart a Hornby Clerestory Brake third coach and have run into an issue.
Plans show the guards lookout to be set diagonally opposite with the guards door. Problem is on p206 GWR coaches book 1 there are 2 images that show the handed versions, and BOTH have the guards door immediately behind the passenger compartment.

Can anyone clarify please??
Khris

• RMweb Premium

One drawing from the Diagram book shows the doors to the right of the lookout on both sides - there is a copy on the Penrhos Junction website.

http://penrhos.me.uk/

But that does not mean they were all (or any) built that way or that there is not another D40 drawing showing them opposite. I have come across examples of three or four different versions of the same Diagram with subtle differences. Note that the drawing cited above refers to Lot 1006. A check in one of the books on GWR coaches should reveal other Lots, which may be different.

A minefield.

Jonathan

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Update. From Harris, Lot 1006 was for a single vehicle, originally Brake Second No. 282, later Brake Third No. 5282.

There was one further batch of coaches to D40, Lot 1035, Brake Seconds Nos. 221-225, later Brake Thirds 5221-5225.

If the photo is of one of the second Lot I think that explains the difference. There may well have been a new drawing for this Lot.

Jonathan

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The left hand photo on p206 is of a D29 Brake Third.  Only the right hand photo is of a D40 Brake Second.  Like the D40 drawing, the D29 also had diagonal lookouts.  Apart from the 6” difference in compartment width, the main difference between D29 and D40 diagrams that D29 is right handed and D40 is left handed.  In other words the corridor is on different sides.  The photos show this.  The photo of the D29 shows from the left three sets of luggage van double doors, guards lookout, guards door, corridor side with a narrow window and three passenger doors and wide windows.  The D40 in photo shows from the left three sets of luggage van double doors, guards lookout, guards door, the compartment side with 3 sets of window-door-window and finally a toilet window.

By about 1897 the GWR had almost standardised on having the guards lookout diagonal.  Prior to 1897 lookouts had in general been placed opposite each other.  The GWR usually issued a new diagram for designs that had the lookouts changed, eg T34 has opposite lookouts, T36 is the identical to T34 except it has diagonal lookouts.

When using Ratio coach sides to make other designs I have usually chosen diagrams with diagonal lookouts as that is   what is available in the kits.  The only exception was I was determined to have a T51 so I had to cut up 2 sides just to make one side of the coach.  You could use a Ratio Brake Third kit to provide the diagonal lookouts you need.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3