Does your toad drag? Hornby GW Toad running issues

Hi

I noticed recently that my Hornby GW Toad was dragging randomly and badly at times!

Obviously I oiled the axel boxes but this did not help and depending on where there wheels were you could hear it dragging.

Eventually I discovered that the brake rigging bar that is fitted on the underside of the chassis was too close to the wheel tread, more so if there is any dirt on the wheels.

In the photo here you can see where they have been dragging.

A bit of wet & dry soon fixed this and now my toad is free :)

IMG_6009.jpg

IMG_6008.jpg

Edited by mikesndbs
Edited image for clarity
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I like that idea!  In the meantime and as a DC Luddite, I have for some time induced a small amount of drag in my brake vans in order for them to work as brake vans. This can be done by various methods; brakes set close enough to drag a little, foam sponge rubbing against the axles, or deliberately poorly running bearings are all used on my layout. The trick is to set the drag lightly enough to allow the wheels to turn under the van’s weight, but to provide enough retardation to secure stock not coupled to locos.  Cwmdimbath is a small BLT with short trains, so haulage is not an issue. 

The advantages are that loose coupled trains have realistically taut couplings and the rear ends of them follow the locos more smoothly at low speeds, with less ‘snatching’, and that coupling up is aided as the loco can realistically ‘ease up’ to stock against the van ‘brake’.  The amount of drag needed is a matter of trial and error; the wheels need to turn fairly freely and for this reason I find it better to apply the actual drag to the axles. It should be possible to provide an adjustable system but I have not found this to be an issue. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I found that some but not all wagons from various sources can have the brake block too close to the wheel flange when re-gauged to 14.5mm back to back.

A little relieving of the inside of the block is all that is needed.

• Agree 1