D60 Lytham St Annes

Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know why D60, alone among the otherwise regiment-named Class 45s, was named after a seaside resort?

I know that this was one of a set of resort names that had been applied to the Patriots, but I wonder why just one of these names was perpetuated.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Premium

I think the association is more with Patriot names. 53 Royal Tank Regiment, 54 The Royal Pioneer Corps, 55 Royal Signals and 56 The Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment (T.A.) all took their names from recently-withdrawn Patriots (suitably updated).

Just think, we could have had Lady Godiva or Morecambe and Wise Heysham.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Jeremy C said:

I think the association is more with Patriot names. 53 Royal Tank Regiment, 54 The Royal Pioneer Corps, 55 Royal Signals and 56 The Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment (T.A.) all took their names from recently-withdrawn Patriots (suitably updated).

Just think, we could have had Lady Godiva or Morecambe and Wise Heysham.

Or E. Tootal Broadhurst

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

Can't comment on the name (which puzzled me too) but it was the first recorded named Peak to reach Penzance - it worked the up 1E21 'Cornishman' service on Sunday 5th July 1970.

Just thought I'd chuck that in.....:)

D60 enjoyed the notoriety of having worked the last train on the Waverley Route, so when I spotted it for the first time at Temple Meads - probably around the time you mentioned - I felt I'd seen a celebrity loco.

I might also mention that for many years I wondered why the Third Carabinier was worthy of a loco name when the First and the Second were not - but on looking them up I discovered that there never were any 1st or 2nd Carabiniers.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

Andy

I have wondered this as well, particularly as I am researching the history of the Peaks.

There are several files at the National Archives from the period on names and namings so I shall see if there is anything in any of them when Kew reopens again at some point. Would be nice to get to the bottom of it for sure.

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, slilley said:

Andy

I have wondered this as well, particularly as I am researching the history of the Peaks.

There are several files at the National Archives from the period on names and namings so I shall see if there is anything in any of them when Kew reopens again at some point. Would be nice to get to the bottom of it for sure.

Simon

Thanks Simon. I woud appreciate hearing the outcome of your research.

On 20/11/2020 at 14:23, Andy Kirkham said:

Thanks Simon. I woud appreciate hearing the outcome of your research.

Andy

If anything floats to the surface I will let know, though the full story may well have to wait until the fruits of my Peak research is published!!

Best wishes

Simon

On 20/11/2020 at 14:16, slilley said:

You probably already have these two in your sights:

Regimental Naming Of Locomotives 1960 - 63

Regimental Naming Of Locomotives 1963 - 76

The problem with Kew is that the day just seems to evaporate! I know when I've used it and have been perusing catalogues there always seems to be something ready to sidetrack you from your target.

Good luck with the search....

• RMweb Premium

The Names list at railway-centre.com has D60 named, without ceremony, at Derby Works on 01/05/64.

The Regiment-named ones were similarly named without ceremony at Works but had plates with the Coats-of-Arms incorporated.

Did any of them have a subsequent dedication ceremony?

Edited by keefer

14 hours ago, keefer said:

The Regiment-named ones were similarly named without ceremony at Works but had plates with the Coats-of-Arms incorporated.

Did any of them have a subsequent dedication ceremony?

Some locos did have official naming ceremonies, generally a few days after having the plates applied at Derby works:

D49             The Manchester Regiment - Manchester Piccadilly 09/10/65

D52             The Lancashire Fusilier - Manchester Piccadilly 31/10/63

D54             The Royal Pioneer Corps - London St Pancras 14/11/63

D56             The Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment (T.A.) - Bedford Midland 08/12/62

D58             The King's Own Royal Border Regiment - Carlisle 01/05/63

D59             The Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers - Birmingham Snow Hill 22/05/64

D62             5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards - London St Pancras 30/11/64

D70             The Royal Marines - London St Pancras 02/12/64

D89             Honourable Artillery Company - London Broad Street 09/06/65

D100           Sherwood Forester - Derby Midland 23/09//61

D137           The Cheshire Regiment - Chester 12/06/66

D163           Leicestershire and Derbyshire Yeomanry - Derby Midland 14/04/62

D62 / 45143 was later adorned with an additional "1685 - 1985" plate in the same style as the original at a ceremony held at London Waterloo 11/06/85

• Thanks 1

On 21/11/2020 at 19:34, SP Steve said:

You probably already have these two in your sights:

Regimental Naming Of Locomotives 1960 - 63

Regimental Naming Of Locomotives 1963 - 76

The problem with Kew is that the day just seems to evaporate! I know when I've used it and have been perusing catalogues there always seems to be something ready to sidetrack you from your target.

Good luck with the search....

Kew has been sidetracking me since 1997!! Four books has been the result of the sidetracking plus a few magazine articles. Its a wonderful place for railway history.

Simon

• 3 years later...
On 22/11/2020 at 13:32, robertcwp said:

I read somewhere years ago that there was a military influence on the name. D60 was a very early recipient of blue with full yellow ends following refurbishment:

33681543458_a6990316b9_c.jpgD60_Derby_1967 by Robert Carroll, on Flickr

Not all 45s received the same extent of work as D60, which ended up looking more like a refurbished 46.

The full scope of work carried out during the refurbishing of the Class 45s and indeed the Class 46s is in my Peak book. I think it is the first time the entire work has been detailed in print.

Simon

47 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Doubtless it's all in Simon's book,  but I don't think there was a military influence in the naming of D60; RAF Lytham was a short-lived post WW2 base which lasted barely ten years. More likely , the names of former LMS Patriot locos was the consideration in its choice. 

There was no military influence in D60's name, the reason why it was named, has not floated to the surface in the BR archives sadly.  The Peak book will explain in some detail how the regiment names came to be applied.

Simon

If Simon's diligent research can't trace the origins of the naming of D60, then it's probably lost in the mists of time.

However, my thoughts...

Some of the LMS Patriot 4-6-0s were named after, not necessarily holiday resorts, but "a town served by the company". Obviously most were resorts, maybe prompted by the local town council to boost tourism. With the withdrawal of the steam engine bearing their name, I wonder if the good folks of Lytham approached BR to append it to a diesel?

45548 was withdrawn in September 1962. D60 was named (without any ceremony at Derby Loco) in May 1964. Hence before the decision to stop naming engines.

During my time as the local history librarian for Bournemouth Council, I tried to persuade South West Trains to name one of their (then new) class 444 units after the town, to mark its bicentenary. After some correspondence, it kind of died a death.

Maybe Lytham St Annes had more success in promoting their resort...

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

7 hours ago, slilley said:

The full scope of work carried out during the refurbishing of the Class 45s and indeed the Class 46s is in my Peak book. I think it is the first time the entire work has been detailed in print.

Simon

Your book is next to me right now. Just about to start reading it.