Planet Industrials - Kit development lab...

James Hilton

Developing kits requires a number of different skills that I've developed over the years, and the concept of a multi-media kit with 3D printed core, etched detail overlays and cast components where sensible has been proven through years of designing, producing and marketing narrow gauge models. In 2019 we shared our first model in 00 standard gauge modelling, the Hibberd Planet which was our proof of concept, that the approach works with a standard gauge prototype.

This thread will share kits that we've got in development with posts taken from my blog that share CAD visualisations, naked prototype models and completed and painted kits before they're released. Some of our existing kits can be seen in the 'Story so far' thread - I won't duplicate content from there, here...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The first trial of the 3D and 2D parts for the forthcoming Planet Industrials Ruston 165DE kit were a great success, neat fit and no real adjustments needed...

IMG_1947.jpeg

However, I had mis-measured the chassis, and it was off centre and set too far under the cab. This looked ok from a 3/4 view, but side on, the model looked wrong - so I adjusted the 3D printed core, and tweaked a few little things I'd missed (like the foot step on the front of the bonnet) and re-ordered, along with a slightly revised front grill. I've now assembled the second prototype of both the print and etch and success, it's pretty much there - just the NEM mount to add to the front of the chassis print and it will be ready for production.

IMG_1948.jpeg

The model is a nice progression from the Planet, for those that feel they can tackle a more complicated kit. There are more metal parts to form in terms of grab irons etc, and the modification to the Hornby chassis to remove the cylinders isn't difficult, but does perhaps require a sharp intake of breath and some courage (although replacement wheels are available as spares should the worst happen).

IMG_1949.jpeg

I will be priming and painting the model in the coming week - and I'm currently torn on livery. Part of me wants more of a work horse with a faded green body and wasp striped buffers - the other part wonders about a lined maroon with wasp striped buffers? We'll see what happens once the primer is dry. For now, the release is likely to be in the new year once we've sourced the parts, so perhaps save some of your Christmas money for a kit to help with the January blues! Until next time, more soon...

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

If you search on RMWeb here then Dave (@ruston) has shared some drawings of the DS and DH types. The DE didn’t have a jack shaft as the traction motor was fitted directly to the axle.

The Peckett chassis is very close, but if I were doing a custom made chassis I’d work from the drawing.

The other advantage of the Peckett chassis is the wheels are of the correct pattern as I’ve been told that Peckett cast the wheels for Ruston.

• Informative/Useful 1

If you have a search on the Lincolnshire archives site you should be able to find a General Arrangement for a 165DE. It's not very well indexed, so it's a case of ploughing through lots of arrangement drawings. 

https://www.lincstothepast.com/searchResults.aspx?qsearch=1&keywords=loco+arr&x=0&y=0

I think the 165DE has the same wheelbase as the 165DS. The frames are the same - you can see a blanking plate where the jackshaft was on at least some of the DE versions. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, James Hilton said:

I’ve looked in the Ruston and Hornsby Diesel Locomotive Album, by Andrew Neale...

The exact wheelbase was 1778mm on the DS, and 1753mm on the DH. I don’t have a measurement for the DE.

I've just ordered the book from the Embsay Railway off Amazon.

Thanks 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1871980631/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabt1_Dj9TFbMZT4DDQ

Edited by PenrithBeacon
Grammar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, James Hilton said:

I’ve looked in the Ruston and Hornsby Diesel Locomotive Album, by Andrew Neale...

The exact wheelbase was 1778mm on the DS, and 1753mm on the DH. I don’t have a measurement for the DE.

23mm then to all intents and purposes. Might be possible to use the trailing rods off AGW 4M121 or 4M144

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

The Ruston 165DE prototype has now had a light weathering, nothing too filthy, this needs to look like a hard working but relatively new and looked after model, so aid the illustration of the kit...

IMG_2041.jpeg

I think this has really finished it off, before hand it looked a little garish, the wasp striping just grabbed your attention and the red wheels jumped out from the darkness, now everything is a little more muted. The finish is my usual multi stage approach, wash, micro painting, dry brushing and airbrushing - I won't go over that again here (search for weathering on my blog, and you'll find more).

IMG_2040.jpeg
Posed here on Pont-y-dulais, she looks the part, neatly assembled - and the Hornby chassis doesn't give any clues to it's Peckett origins! The big Gibson 24" buffers are a lovely touch, and hopefully we'll be able to include these in future kits next year.

IMG_2042.jpeg
Release is likely to be January now, we've just got too much on between now and Christmas to rush a pre-Christmas release. In the meantime, there will be news on Victory in the next few days, keep your eyes peeled and if you haven't already, sign up to the email list to hear first. More soon...

• Like 12

This is a bit tempting I must admit.  For P4 I would make my own simple chassis and probably use the Peckett wheel centres supplied by Dave Bigcheeseplant along with High Level gearbox of suitable dimension.

I'm sure Ruston Dave would be able to assist with the fine details:)

• Like 2

A few have asked me about whether I’m doing an etched chassis, my answer is the same each time...

Our ethos is kits for the newcomer, but with the fidelity that more finescale modellers are equally happy to build and finish our products... with that in mind the kits make use of ready to run chassis, but provide a multimedia approach, using the strengths of each material to produce a neat and detailed model with consistent results from modellers of all skill levels.

I dare say you’ll do a lovely job with a home made P4 chassis, I look forward to seeing how you get on when we release the model next year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Doesn't have to be etched, a 3D print is perfectly adequate

The first ‘chassis’ I’ve designed is in fact a 3D print, with push together assembly. It will feature in the new version of the Planet first, and then the modern Clayton. This still meets the ethos of what we do...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, James Hilton said:

The first ‘chassis’ I’ve designed is in fact a 3D print, with push together assembly. It will feature in the new version of the Planet first, and then the modern Clayton. This still meets the ethos of what we do...

Excellent,  looking forward to it. If you could include the equivalent of half etched lines for hornblocks that would be brilliant. 

On 20/11/2020 at 13:00, James Hilton said:

If you search on RMWeb here then Dave (@ruston) has shared some drawings of the DS and DH types. The DE didn’t have a jack shaft as the traction motor was fitted directly to the axle.

The Peckett chassis is very close, but if I were doing a custom made chassis I’d work from the drawing.

The other advantage of the Peckett chassis is the wheels are of the correct pattern as I’ve been told that Peckett cast the wheels for Ruston.

Where did you get that information about the wheels from? I've never heard of that before but ISTR either reading, or being told, something about Peckett making the frame plates for the first 165s. although I cannot remember from where or whom.

23 hours ago, Ruston said:

Where did you get that information about the wheels from? I've never heard of that before but ISTR either reading, or being told, something about Peckett making the frame plates for the first 165s. although I cannot remember from where or whom.

According to the IRS's Peckett & Sons book by Andrew Smith, there is a link between Ruston and Peckett.  I paraphrase below:

At the end of WW2, Rustons approached Peckett to build locos for them under subcontract, using Ruston engines and gearboxes.  At the time Rustons didn't want to get into building larger locos themselves, but Peckett didn't want to enter into the subcontract arrangment as Frank Peckett feared a loss of independence. 

However, at some later date (not given in the book) Pecketts agreed to design and manufacture the running gear for larger Ruston locomotives.  Pecketts certainly machines the first sets of frames, but it's not clear if they did them all or if Rustons machined later frames themselves.  The running gear for Ruston 4 and 6 wheel locos became a relatively substantial part of Peckett's output, including work on 100hp underground locos.

Alastair