Variations on a couple of themes by lots of you

Chimer

• RMweb Premium

I like the concept but would simplify both the goods area of the terminus and the main MPD. Both have too much track in them and I think would look better with a bit more space.

Could the run-around for the goods yard be combined with the outermost platform line? I'd then just have three sidings, with one having the good shed on. i.e. loose the two outermost tracks.

On the steam side of the MPD I'd loose all but one of the lines between the shed and the triangle.

Steven B.

Why not treat the two lines coming out of the terminus as two single lines rather than as a double track?

I am prompted to suggest this since this is in fact the organization of Aberystwyth station until the 1960s. One of the single lines ran to Carmarthen while the other went to Shrewsbury. Aberystwyth had an MPD with a triangle for reversing engines between those single lines, rather than a turntable. The triangle was however separate from the main running lines and was closely associated with the MPD.

And in case you think that Aberystwyth might have been on the small side - in reality there were 5 passenger platforms and a substantial goods yard. Platforms were quite long allowing for trains with substantial numbers of carriages. Operations got "interesting" on summer Saturdays...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Belatedly remembered I owe some of you replies ...

@Steven B I agree it's cramped, but I've quite deliberately put operations above breathabillity for this one - even more than usual.  Using P1 for the goods run-round is an obvious option - I can only think I didn't try it because I'd arrived at a solution of sorts for the yard before I changed the island platform - I originally had it as P2 & P3 as per the classic Minories plan.  The MPD is as it is because I want my locos on show in the open - I'm thinking of it as a separate entity, not as the depot that serves the teminus.  And see below re goods sidings ....

@Nearholmer The problem I could only resolve with the double siding is that otherwise, the wagons I want to depart are going to be trapped behind the ones that have just arrived - and the three sidings that form the yard are probably a bit short to provide the room for the necessary backing and filling needed to sort that out.  So I thought two "mileage sidings" which usually stand almost empty was a way out ....

@KingEdwardII, your highness, that's an interesting thought, and two crossovers on the bridge would solve my first sight objection, which was that I wouldn't want something that had left Aberystwyth heading to Carmarthen to return from Shrewsbury.  I might just explore this one day to see if there is some way of doing this where the two lines visibly diverge to form the legs of the triangle.

For now, I think I'll leave this where it stands until I either get bored or it seems likely that this space is going to be the home of the last great project.  But thanks again all for your inputs.

Cheers, Chris

On 23/11/2020 at 12:10, KingEdwardII said:

Why not treat the two lines coming out of the terminus as two single lines rather than as a double track?

I am prompted to suggest this since this is in fact the organization of Aberystwyth station until the 1960s. One of the single lines ran to Carmarthen while the other went to Shrewsbury. Aberystwyth had an MPD with a triangle for reversing engines between those single lines, rather than a turntable. The triangle was however separate from the main running lines and was closely associated with the MPD.

And in case you think that Aberystwyth might have been on the small side - in reality there were 5 passenger platforms and a substantial goods yard. Platforms were quite long allowing for trains with substantial numbers of carriages. Operations got "interesting" on summer Saturdays...

@ChimerFully agree with quote above and had immediate similar thoughts when the plan was shown indicating what was and wasn't scenic. Made me think of Great Yarmouth; 2x bi-directional lines which run side by side for a distance past the station throat, one heads via Acle, the other via Reedham, but both end up at Norwich so it doesn't matter if your train leaves on one line and returns on the other. Plus where those lines arrive at Norwich there's a triangle beside Crown Point depot (although the shed was nearer Norwich station in the era you're discussing), but that's more for bypassing Norwich station... Rule 1 though...

Platform wise, Great Yarmouth is not far off your plan with 4 platform faces (3 now), and there used to be a goods yard along side. The carriage sidings are along side the 2x bi-directional lines as you leave the station, so not far off where you've put your hidden storage loops.

Nice plan :) 

• Thanks 1