Ellis Clark Trains Finescale O Gauge Presflo Wagons

Ellis Clark Trains

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

Hi

Ive seen more rumours on the delivery dates for these - any update from ECT - will they be delivered for Christmas or will it be new year?

Ellis Clark Trains posted on Facebook 21st October that they were going through final assembly and they were expecting them to leave the factory by the end of November - but no actual date given for when the boat may set sail - or when they are due in UK.

• Like 1

On 16/11/2021 at 19:22, ba14eagle said:

Hi

Ive seen more rumours on the delivery dates for these - any update from ECT - will they be delivered for Christmas or will it be new year?

We are currently quoting the end of January-middle of February at the moment, there are a few issues with production for everyone in China and like most other companies we have been affected by this too. Final assembly is taking place and I have attached some photos we have received to show this

Hope this helps? 

FB_IMG_1637789799416.jpg

FB_IMG_1637789801712.jpg

FB_IMG_1637789803892.jpg

FB_IMG_1637789806300.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Hi,

These look great - nice effort.

Please excuse my ignorance but did these ever travel as singles or in twos and threes? Eg to a small localised railhead depot or moderate-major works site with a railhead?

Thanks in advance.

Atvb,

CME

Avon Street in Bristol had them in small rakes, they were tripped down from Lawrence Hill by class 03s.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris-ECT said:

As above they could be found in trip and mixed goods workings all over the country 

Thank you Chris - much obliged.

Does anyone know how long the yellow livery lasted for on the Blue Circle private owner versions - did they later switch to grey livery?

Thanks again everyone.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

7 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Good to know - I'll try and research that - thanks for the heads up:):)

If you Google 'Bristol Rail Archive Avon Street" there is a page with lots of pictures that show the presflos etc.  My previous 4mm layout Peafore Yard and current layout Peasevern Yard are inspired by the branch so the 7 I have on order are a key part of the layout 

Edited by 37114
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Thank you Chris - much obliged.

Does anyone know how long the yellow livery lasted for on the Blue Circle private owner versions - did they later switch to grey livery?

Thanks again everyone.

I think @hmrspaul might be able to advise exact dates but in essence it wasn't very long until they went grey. I can't recall seeing anymore than 1 or 2 photos of them in yellow, the majority of the Blue Circle ones I have seen have been grey.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 25/11/2021 at 15:19, CME and Bottlewasher said:

Hi,

These look great - nice effort.

Please excuse my ignorance but did these ever travel as singles or in twos and threes? Eg to a small localised railhead depot or moderate-major works site with a railhead?

Thanks in advance.

Atvb,

CME

Yes they could be seen as singles or small numbers during the 50s and 60s. There were silo road vehicles capable of unloading them anywhere - as the cover of Don Rowland's book on BR Wagons. 

Paul

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

Firstly, very sorry for the radio silence on this.

I've been waiting to hear back from the factory for a definitive answer before commenting.

I put out a newsletter last night outlining the current status and time frame for all of our projects, but yes, we are looking at delivery in February 2022.

In terms of the the yellow Blue Circle livery and how long this lasted, there's a couple of things here.

Firstly, allot of pictures where it appears as though they are in the grey livery they are actually in yellow!

Basically, after years of cement overspill and the impossible task of cleaning cement off a wagon, they ended up looking grey anyway - which you'll see in some pictures.

In terms of official dates for repainting/transition of livery, 1976 was when the majority were repainted from yellow to grey, after being introduced in the yellow livery circa 1960.

Hope this helps :).

All the best,

Ellis.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 26/11/2021 at 06:37, 37114 said:

If you Google 'Bristol Rail Archive Avon Street" there is a page with lots of pictures that show the presflos etc.  My previous 4mm layout Peafore Yard and current layout Peasevern Yard are inspired by the branch so the 7 I have on order are a key part of the layout 

I've had a look - thanks - very nice! The prototype location is full of atmosphere and intriguing too. Good tip off, thank you.

On 26/11/2021 at 06:40, 37114 said:

I think @hmrspaul might be able to advise exact dates but in essence it wasn't very long until they went grey. I can't recall seeing anymore than 1 or 2 photos of them in yellow, the majority of the Blue Circle ones I have seen have been grey.

Thanks again, very hard to tell in B&W photos if they're grey or cement covered yellow livery.

21 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Yes they could be seen as singles or small numbers during the 50s and 60s. There were silo road vehicles capable of unloading them anywhere - as the cover of Don Rowland's book on BR Wagons. 

Paul

Thank you Paul, dug out the Don Rowland book, interesting photos. 

4 hours ago, Ellis Clark Trains said:

Hi all,

Firstly, very sorry for the radio silence on this.

I've been waiting to hear back from the factory for a definitive answer before commenting.

I put out a newsletter last night outlining the current status and time frame for all of our projects, but yes, we are looking at delivery in February 2022.

In terms of the the yellow Blue Circle livery and how long this lasted, there's a couple of things here.

Firstly, allot of pictures where it appears as though they are in the grey livery they are actually in yellow!

Basically, after years of cement overspill and the impossible task of cleaning cement off a wagon, they ended up looking grey anyway - which you'll see in some pictures.

In terms of official dates for repainting/transition of livery, 1976 was when the majority were repainted from yellow to grey, after being introduced in the yellow livery circa 1960.

Hope this helps :).

All the best,

Ellis.

Thanks for the update Ellis and the info too. As the photos of them are often B&W and they got dirty, grey or yellow looks very similar to my eyes. I applaud you for taking your time to get these right, your renderings look very detailed. Fascinating subject matter these wagons. 

Thanks everyone.

ATVB,

CME.

• RMweb Premium

Just a memory for all you Presflo fans--I used to see block loads passing through Barking. I wish I'd photographed them, but a vivid memory is that every horizontal surface was covered with cement dust. They also made a tremendous thump on the rail joints!

• Like 1

They do look superb! I am sorely tempted for my MSC layout, especially since they were to be seen in Trafford Park as some of @Sandhole‘s old photos show. 

The big challenge is effective weathering which will require a lot of texture build-up. 

Edited by Mol_PMB
Typo

1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

They do look superb! I am sorely tempted for my MSC layout, especially since they were to be seen in Trafford Park as some of @Sandhole‘s old photos show. 

The big challenge is effective weathering which will require a lot of texture build-up. 

The last wagon is like the ones I saw at Taylors.
Chris.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to decide which wagons to order, and I've got a question because there seems to be a bit of an inconsistency both on the Ellis Clark website and on this thread.

Please can you help by confirming the main lettering layout on the plain bauxite ones?

E73-1-1U/A/B/C:

These are shown in the initial list on this thread as just lettered 'CEMENT'.

The website images for these variants each have one image of 'CEMENT' and one of 'PRESFLO / CEMENT'.

The artwork on a later post on this thread shows E73-1-1A being 'PRESFLO / CEMENT'.

The artwork on a later post on this thread shows E73-1-1C being 'PRESFLO / CEMENT'.

E73-1-7U/A/B/C:

These are shown in the initial list on this thread as lettered 'PRESFLO / CEMENT'.

The website images for these variants each have one image of 'PRESFLO' and one of 'PRESFLO / CEMENT'.

The artwork on a later post on this thread shows E73-1-7A being 'PRESFLO'.

The artwork on a later post on this thread shows E73-1-7B being 'PRESFLO'.

So, in the final production are all the E73-1-1 variants 'PRESFLO / CEMENT' and all the E73-1-7 variants 'PRESFLO'?

Have the plans for wagons just lettered 'CEMENT' been deleted?

In this album from @hmrspaul https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brpresflo there are plenty of 'PRESFLO / CEMENT' and just 'CEMENT', but not many which are just 'PRESFLO' though I appreciate this gives options for people to add other designations such as 'SNOWCRETE', 'PULVERITE' etc.

Some clarification of the main lettering on each model number would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Paul

On 22/12/2021 at 17:31, Mol_PMB said:

I'm trying to decide which wagons to order, and I've got a question because there seems to be a bit of an inconsistency both on the Ellis Clark website and on this thread.

Please can you help by confirming the main lettering layout on the plain bauxite ones?

E73-1-1U/A/B/C:

These are shown in the initial list on this thread as just lettered 'CEMENT'.

The website images for these variants each have one image of 'CEMENT' and one of 'PRESFLO / CEMENT'.

The artwork on a later post on this thread shows E73-1-1A being 'PRESFLO / CEMENT'.

The artwork on a later post on this thread shows E73-1-1C being 'PRESFLO / CEMENT'.

E73-1-7U/A/B/C:

These are shown in the initial list on this thread as lettered 'PRESFLO / CEMENT'.

The website images for these variants each have one image of 'PRESFLO' and one of 'PRESFLO / CEMENT'.

The artwork on a later post on this thread shows E73-1-7A being 'PRESFLO'.

The artwork on a later post on this thread shows E73-1-7B being 'PRESFLO'.

So, in the final production are all the E73-1-1 variants 'PRESFLO / CEMENT' and all the E73-1-7 variants 'PRESFLO'?

Have the plans for wagons just lettered 'CEMENT' been deleted?

In this album from @hmrspaul https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brpresflo there are plenty of 'PRESFLO / CEMENT' and just 'CEMENT', but not many which are just 'PRESFLO' though I appreciate this gives options for people to add other designations such as 'SNOWCRETE', 'PULVERITE' etc.

Some clarification of the main lettering on each model number would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Paul

Sorry for the late reply Paul, I've only just seen this post. I have had a quick look at the info available to me from home and -1-1 is Presflo Cement and -1-7 is just Presflo on the branding.

-1-1 is also double vac cylinder fitted where -1-7 is the earlier single vac version and they both feature different ladder types. 

I have included the link to the Presflo page on our website which should help clear up which each one will be carrying brand-wise to help with your potential pre-order.

https://www.ellisclarktrains.co.uk/collections/presflos

Kind Regards, 

Chris 

• Like 2

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for the response, serious dedication to duty at this time of year!

It's really useful to understand the differences in the lettering and the vac cylinder arrangements which I should also have asked about, but you've dealt with that too!

I'll have another look and sort out my pre-order tomorrow.

Merry Christmas,

Paul

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I see from my email inbox these are setting sail, now due in middle of March. The latest pics look great, I am looking forward to getting my hands on the 7 I have on order and all being well they will appear on my layout at the SWAG members day in April.

• Like 3

That's great news. I've been thinking about how much to weather my three, and what techniques to use. 

This photo by John Senior / collection John Turner (see link to Flickr below) dates from 1969 so is suitable for the pre-TOPS variants which I'm getting.

My impression is that they weren't quite as cement-encrusted by then, and that some wagons might show signs of having been cleaned but with the more lumpy bits still adhering.

Note also some have had refurbished vacuum cylinders fitted which stand out as cleaner than the rest and perhaps a different shade of bauxite. 

c.1969 - Poole, Dorset.

Some interesting weathering challenges there - when they arrive I look forward to seeing how others deal with replicating this.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1