Creating a "Hornby" based LNWR George The Fifth 4-4-0

Long story short, I've wanted to have a few LNWR locomotives and matching stock for a while. Whilst I was looking over drawings, it dawned on me that the Hornby Compound, and similar 4-4-0s of the same chassis design (with valve gear removed) would be ideal for this loco. So far I've copied drawings into Sketchup and have started to create a body to print in resin, however I'll be leaving finer fittings and details off as I plan to make use of castings from existing ranges. 

I don't think this will be coming along any time soon, but I have a Compound on order that I hope to modify chassis wise to create the basis of this LNWR locomotive. Alongside it I may have to buy some Ratio LNWR coaches to join it...

LNWRgeorgealpha.png

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

It just so happens that I'm making a Tri-ang Hornby style model of the LNWR George the Fifth 4-4-0 based on the upcoming replica No. 2013 Prince George using the original GEM kit. Unfortunately, the kit I bought lacked instructions and I got into a proper mess. If this body is 3D-printed, would I use it on the Tri-ang L1 or LMS 2P chassis? Or if it's one of those modern models, would a modern Hornby or Bachmann 4-4-0 chassis work for it? Hornby and Bachmann's new modern 4-4-0 chassis might be somewhat complicated with tender wirings and tender pickups and I'm rather 50/50 like most modellers on those.

Say, is there a chance you could also make a 1960s Triang-style version with moulded handrails and simplistic features even room for the Triang LMS 2P Chassis? I could show you references of it if you like. If it's on the Hornby LMS 2P tender-drive chassis, that would be a different version but it does reflect the models of the 1980s ad 1990s which is something I am doing lately since last year for Hornby's Centenary Year and that's retro-style models. Feel free to check it out.

Also, would you make available to other modellers?