GER Holden Clerestory?

nicktamarensis

Hello all.

Attached are a few pictures of DE320111 taken during the summer of 1963 when it was parked in the station yard at West Horndon on the LT&SR line.

I'm assuming it was a Holden clerestory of the type produced from 1898 - 1906, but clarification would be most welcome plus any detail of its eventual fate. The pictures show it two different positions and it may have been part of a clear up operation after a derailment of stock at West Horndon on 17 July of the same year. Until the following summer piles of smashed stock removed from the accident site awaited clearance.

Many thanks.

Nick   

W H 023.jpg

W H 024.jpg

W H 008.jpg

W H 009.jpg

• Like 4

Looks like a North Eastern 3 compartment brake third to me - a number of these were transferred to GE metals (in the 30s, I think).

In particular, with the basic roof-profile - ignoring the clerestory - an arc, and with the windows in the end in line with those in the sides, it's not likely to be anything Great Eastern.

D

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There is a photo in Kichenside's Railway Carriage Album of a very similar NER brake third, albeit with the guard's lookout at the very end. The panelling of the end of the clerestory is identical , as is the arrangement of steps and handrails on the non-brake end, although the steps have a more complicated support structure it appears.

Thanks chaps.  A separate source having the benefit of access to NERA records states that this was an NER 3cpt Brake 3rd ex-NER 1490 built to diagram 18 which was probably converted to service stock about 1951/2 and was allocated to the Engineer at Stratford. The date as either 1895/1906 or 1908. Looking at the style of the panelling probably about 1906 – just before the elliptical roof designs became standard.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...