GWR 0-6-0 Locomotives Illustrated Nos 55 & 157

Jeff Smith

Both the issues in the title purport to include Dean 0-6-0s.  Does anyone have either of these? I am interested in learning the principle dates of the 20 outside framed 2361 class, in particular the withdrawal dates.  Also what other information may be contained.

Many thanks

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Smith
Typo

I don't know how familiar you are with Locomotives Illustrated.

But the clue is in the title. It's mostly photographs with a short section of about four pages on the history and sometimes (not always) a list of locomotives and some allocations at the back.

The original one was mostly about Dean Goods and 2251s from about the 1920s onwards. The later version was mostly about the early days and had the Armstrong and other variants which were ignored in the earlier version.

Good to have, but if you are after information on GWR 0-6-0s then I would look for the relevant RCTS volume and the Russell Illustrated History books.

I also think they were covered in depth in GWJ.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

The latter LIs got a bit more informative in the captions IMO. There are tables in both detailing specific dates and for the 2361s the withdrawal dates range start Mar 1930 (2371, the only one not to be superheated) to Nov 1946 (2362 albeit originally withdrawn Sept 1939 and reinstated Jan 1940). The tables in 157 are more informative including dates of Belpaire boilers being fitted, when superheated and allocations shown for Jan 1902, May 1922 and Jul 1939.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

The latter LIs got a bit more informative in the captions IMO. There are tables in both detailing specific dates and for the 2361s the withdrawal dates range start Mar 1930 (2371, the only one not to be superheated) to Nov 1946 (2362 albeit originally withdrawn Sept 1939 and reinstated Jan 1940). The tables in 157 are more informative including dates of Belpaire boilers being fitted, when superheated and allocations shown for Jan 1902, May 1922 and Jul 1939.

All information which is covered better in the RCTS book though IMHO. Although worth getting both as long as the price is right

Should be able to pick up a copy of the RCTS book for less than a tenner. I've now got a full set and haven't paid more than that for any of them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Locomotives-Western-Railway-Six-Wheeled-Engines/dp/B0027A7EGY

This is more typical of price.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-LOCOMOTIVES-OF-THE-GREAT-WESTERN-RAILWAY-Part-4-Tender-Engines-RCTS-/293819365486?nma=true&si=9to7JVtgwnIsT3eVW4USdjFPFbA%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Jason

1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

Hi Butler, thanks, I sent you a PM