New Radnor Station

Jim Scott

Evening all,

I'm planning a model based on New Radnor (GWR) station, and have a question that I hope someone (or ones) will be able to answer.  I would normally have access to the WIld Swan book on the line, in my local library, but can't get to it at the moment!  The question is:  Did the track serving the goods shed go through the end doors to the shed, or alongside the much bigger doors in the side wall?  My guess is the latter, as the end doors don't seem high enough, but the drawings I have and the photos I remember don't seem to show that track.

All comments, ideas or photographic evidence to answer this would be much appreciated.

Thanks, in advance,

Jim

• Like 1

Thank  you, Jeremy.  I had seen this map (in the wild Swan book, I think) but wasn't sure of its accuracy, as it doesn't show the run-round loop at the platform.  However, I suppose it is as good as I will get, given that so little  exists today.  I believe the station site is now a caravan park.

Jim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Scott said:

Thank  you, Jeremy.  I had seen this map (in the wild Swan book, I think) but wasn't sure of its accuracy, as it doesn't show the run-round loop at the platform.  However, I suppose it is as good as I will get, given that so little  exists today.  I believe the station site is now a caravan park.

Jim

I believe the New Radnor goods shed survives complete with its crane?

• Agree 1

On 21/11/2020 at 19:14, Paul H Vigor said:

I believe the New Radnor goods shed survives complete with its crane?

As far as I know, Paul, the goods shed still stands in what used to be The Old Station Caravan Park, but which has been re-named Presteigne Holiday Park (https://presteigneholidaypark.co.uk/).  I'm not sure if the goods shed forms any part of the caravan park, nor whether the crane (inside?) still exists.  The website, when it was The Old Station Caravan Park, used to have some photos of it as the original station, but these seem to have disappeared from the site since re-naming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Scott said:

As far as I know, Paul, the goods shed still stands in what used to be The Old Station Caravan Park, but which has been re-named Presteigne Holiday Park (https://presteigneholidaypark.co.uk/).  I'm not sure if the goods shed forms any part of the caravan park, nor whether the crane (inside?) still exists.  The website, when it was The Old Station Caravan Park, used to have some photos of it as the original station, but these seem to have disappeared from the site since re-naming.

Copy & Paste this number 52.236301, -3.149164 into Google, should take you to the Google Maps/Google Earth/Street View images of the New Radnor station site. May be useful?

4 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Copy & Paste this number 52.236301, -3.149164 into Google, should take you to the Google Maps/Google Earth/Street View images of the New Radnor station site. May be useful?

Google 'New Radnor railway station images' for some useful site photos :)

21 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Google 'New Radnor railway station images' for some useful site photos :)

Many thanks, Paul, lots of useful visual information here for me to trawl through.

Regards,

Jim

• Like 1

On 25/11/2020 at 22:11, Paul H Vigor said:

My late father built a substantial model of Kington - a simplified version of New Radnor functioned as a fiddle yard :)

That's really interesting, Paul, as "Kington" will be the fiddle yard for my New Radnor!  However, as it will not be an accurate scale model of New Radnor, it will have a different name, derived from a street in my locality.

I believe that the museum in Kington has a model of the station and its environs, but I have yet to visit.  I don't live too far away, and should schedule a visit, and onwards to New Radnor, when the pandemic permits.  Perhaps I will find the definitive answer to my original question at the caravan park - although I suspect you and Jeremy C have already confirmed the position of the goods shed relative to the track!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I'm surprised to learn that New Radnor station has been called "Presteigne Holiday Park." Presteigne is miles away, as my wife, who comes from there, will tell you.

However, the area is quite intriguing railway-wise. There was, I understand a plan to continue the line over towards Pen-y-bont and further west. (Aberystwyth?) This was never intended to be a terminus. The network of lines radiating from Titley Junction (north to Presteigne, west to Kington & New Radnor, south to Eardisley and east from Leominster) is fascinating in its own right.  Good luick!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, TerryD1471 said:

However, the area is quite intriguing railway-wise. There was, I understand a plan to continue the line over towards Pen-y-bont and further west. (Aberystwyth?)

According to some, it actually got built (in part, at least!) - 

• RMweb Gold
On 21/11/2020 at 16:30, Jim Scott said:

Evening all,

I'm planning a model based on New Radnor (GWR) station, and have a question that I hope someone (or ones) will be able to answer.  I would normally have access to the WIld Swan book on the line, in my local library, but can't get to it at the moment!  The question is:  Did the track serving the goods shed go through the end doors to the shed, or alongside the much bigger doors in the side wall?  My guess is the latter, as the end doors don't seem high enough, but the drawings I have and the photos I remember don't seem to show that track.

All comments, ideas or photographic evidence to answer this would be much appreciated.

Thanks, in advance,

Jim

I've just had a look at my copy of the Nicholas de Courtais (Wild Swan) book.

The track did not go through the end door (which in any case, isn't replicated at the other end on the scale drawing) and the track plans at the back also definitely show the track going alongside the building and not into it.

The end doors are, in any case (as you have correctly surmised) not big enough for the loading gauge.

Hope this helps. Very much looking forward to seeing your layout develop!

• Like 1

On 29/11/2020 at 11:19, Jim Scott said:

That's really interesting, Paul, as "Kington" will be the fiddle yard for my New Radnor!  However, as it will not be an accurate scale model of New Radnor, it will have a different name, derived from a street in my locality.

I believe that the museum in Kington has a model of the station and its environs, but I have yet to visit.  I don't live too far away, and should schedule a visit, and onwards to New Radnor, when the pandemic permits.  Perhaps I will find the definitive answer to my original question at the caravan park - although I suspect you and Jeremy C have already confirmed the position of the goods shed relative to the track!

Site visits are an essential part of getting the feel for the place and the landscape. Re Kington: buildings have been demolished whilst others survive, lineside hedges have grown into trees, and yet the landscape and colours remain the same? It was a strangely bitter sweet experience - but it had to be done?

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

According to some, it actually got built (in part, at least!) - 

It pays to be wary of some stuff you find on the Internet....

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Funny 1