60107 Royal Lancer

Thebodger

5 minutes ago, JeffP said:

I can't find any build threads other than one on here, and it's not clear to me what he's actually done.

He mentions filing the windows, but I can't see what he's changed for the life of me.

Are there any builds on the old site and can I get to them?

Try a Google search for " Hachette flying Scotsman".

Another step forward with the coal hopper fitted into the tender, the supplied ends of the bunker will be used after they are narrowed and made slightly taller. Regards coal rails I have cut out some 1.3mm strips from the 0.3mm sheet the tender was constructed from. 

Regards the cab doors I'm sorry for being stupid but I really dont understand what i need to change, HELP!20201215_221036.jpg.65f81cb8ac108197da5e661d910420d6.jpg20201215_221031.jpg.7513a88b204f6ab9c6d2dbfc25d1f9c9.jpg

• Like 1

On the FS as originally built, the slightly curved door opening extended vertically to the height of the windows. This is how the Hachette cab side is supplied. Shortly after the introduction of the corridor tenders it was extended vertically further to make the cabs less draughty. Careful study of A3s  show this clearly. It looks a little odd but was appreciated by the crews. It also requires the handrail extending. Beware of recent photos of the preserved FS as I am not sure how they have restored the cab side. 

If you look on the St Frusquin thread there is a photo of the completed loco in grey primer. If you compare the Hachette cab side the difference is obvious. 

IMG_20200311_152035.jpg

Edited by doilum
Additional information

• 1 year later...

So a longer break for Christmas than expected... a busy 2021 and a move completed and now back to Royal Lancer! 

The tender is now complete as far as I can see (buffers were fitted after I took the photos) Coal rails were a challenge but I am pleased with the end result! 

The back head is also as good as complete just the regulator to add and the wash down pipe.

Finally a chassis update with the motor fitted and running nicely work on the motion cannot be far away (Gulp!)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, I think I have some sorted ans should arrive in the next few days! In the mean time the coupling rods are on and everything still turns freely so far. I tried to solder them together but after an hour of trying different temperatures, solders and amounts of filing to key the surface I had no joy... so superglue it is! Now onto the motion! Does anyone have any tips for making the bends required in the motion so close together? Photos to follow this evening

So construction of the valve gear is now well underway, I had purchased a replacement slide bar set but for the life of me I cant work out how to assemble them as they don't seem to resemble the parts provided in the kit. Help!!1109672479_WhatsAppImage2022-04-03at21_29_37.jpeg.937ac8a8f93df48b5a6e623638354762.jpeg408751727_WhatsAppImage2022-04-03at21_29_38.jpeg.fe899b4d019eed13e9a14bd2f71e3515.jpeg

Try a Google for walschearts valve gear. Make a large paper drawing of the diagram. Try to understand how it actually works. I missed the need to bend the combination lever until it was too late and ended up scratch building replacements from the spare etch material. I'm not sure if I previously mentioned this, but the coupling rods from Premiere Components were a perfect fit out of the box.

It is possible to build the valve gear from the magazine instructions but for a robust working model, it might be advisable to build them as a demountable unit. Seagull is still waiting for me to build some motivation and order the slidebars and crossheads from Ragstone.