Tips for weathering/airbrushing O gauge models

70E

Hi

I am moving up from OO to O gauge so my current set up of the average size airbrush extract unit and turntable will be too small for some of the larger heavier O gauge locos and coaches etc. It will probably suffice for wagons and small locos though.

So I was wondering what people may do differently in spraying in particular large heavy locos, long coaches etc, do you have any tips for supports, jigs, turntable etc 

I've seen cake decorating turntables used for larger items, although haven't found one yet that wold hold an O gauge Mk1 coach - although I haven't made an exhaustive search of the internet! Amazon has plenty of options, at various prices. 

For supports and jigs, i still use various bits of scrap wood that fir between axles etc. Luckily I've been painting multiple examples of the same type of wagon, so any supports I make can be reused. 

Cheers, 

Stephen

• RMweb Gold

I use an old piece of floorboard as a base upon which I have stuck a length of Peco track. One end has a substantial block of wood screwed to it to act as a bufferstop. This length of wood sits on the standard turntable so that the model can still be turned to give access to various aspects.

P1020703.JPG.25b793aca2babdc5ab0ee2f462a6c61c.JPG

The spray booth I use for O Gauge stock is a Bench Vent BV200S, but I find that I can work on smaller locomotives and most wagons in a BV300S, in this manner:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blogs/entry/24325-Dapol-o-gauge-14xx-no-1444/

• Like 1