50s and 60s commercial vehicle liveries

Hal Nail

• RMweb Premium

I've been rooting around for photos from this period - there are surprisingly few in all my railway books and internet tends to bring up a lot of photos of restorations.

Am I right in assuming for vans, pale greys and tints of greens and blues were more common than white?

On both lorries and vans, the use of black mudguards extending to parts of the cab bodywork seems popular on models - eg Ford Thames ETC, Austin/BMC FG but was this actually a typical colour for that period? 

Also were logos common back then or is this a more recent thing and liveries were generally plain?

Many vans and commercials were supplied in primer  at this period, or in a limited range of basic colours. Buyers would have them painted to their own requirements either by the supplying dealer, a commercial coachpainting firm or their own paint shop. Liveries were usually far more ornate and informative than the logos of today, being hand-painted by skilled signwriters or by the application of custom-printed transfers by companies such as Kaylee of Nottingham.

White is far more common today as it provides a base for the application of vinyl.  PSVs ordered by dealers on spec, or bought in a second hand would be painted in a colour known as dealer stock white once the vinyl revolution came along.  Deep green, blue and grey were common colours for Ford/Thames vehicles.  Along the road from me is a Morris Commrrcial in two tone brown.  Belonged to a nursery who gave it a fresh top coat every wi ter.

Tony Comber

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

Although you only get glimpses of the vehicles as they drive past this short film gives a sense of the range of colours in use. 

Thanks, like that. There were indeed 50 shades of grey!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/11/2020 at 15:16, BernardTPM said:

Here's a small compilation, mostly from the background of slides my Dad took, all dated 1964-65.Commercials64-5.jpg.54a05dd784314d42eb9eb67361a34667.jpg

That bottom right pic looks like a well executed model as it has that busy cluttered appearance! Is that a Wills market stall I see with a couple of Langley figures and an Airfix commercial? :)

• Like 1