Double A3 Sized Layout

Hello Everyone!

A nearly full-time lurker here on the forums I have lost my modelling mojo with my current project of an LBSC Terminus station so have decided to pack it away and start on a smaller project as a taster/venture into 7mm Scale using the bits & pieces I have collected over the years as (hopefully) an inexpensive and completable project throughout this winter lock down.
I have bought three laser cut MDF A3 sized baseboard kits from a well-known auction site (at £12.50 a pop - quite reasonable!) the plan is to use two glued and bolted together as a scenic section and the third one to be a detachable fiddleyard/fiddlestick.

spacer.png

Planned Scenic Boards

I was very taken with Lydlow Goods and Halstead when I encountered them and thought that Lydlow Goods would provide a nice relaxing shunt to escape from the stresses of the real world. Having worked it out roughly with a full-scale plan on paper I have planned for two lines to enter from the left hand end with the front track being approximately 28" in length and the rear track 14" in length terminating in an end loading dock. This roughly equates to two wagons on the rear track and four on the front track - but only with unloading spots on the right-hand board for two wagons.
Basic plan would be to move wagons one or two at a time to the front track - and empties to the rear track to head off to the rest of the world.
I have drawn up a basic full-sized plan (as extensive as it is...) I don't want to share it fully however as I haven't yet thought about the backdrop of buildings to make scenery up and I want to roughly plan them down on paper.

The only slight issue is - I was playing around and managed to get the three musketeers together and its hard not to think of the smaller scales and what would fit in... perhaps I should buy some more baseboards for other layouts in different scales!

spacer.png

spacer.png

7mm "Fenchurch", 4mm "Brighton Works" & 2mm "Boxhill"

If anyone is interested in some glacial progress then stay tuned! I'll be sealing the boards with paint and cutting the MDF for the two scenic boards to make them into one.

Stay Safe and Keep Modelling!

Edited by Matloughe
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Matloughe changed the title to Double A3 Sized Layout

:laugh_mini: I'll see your 3 Terriers and a shunting layout you're building because you've got bored and raise you 3 Midland Railway vans!   I don't even model the Midland!

Good luck with the layout and hope it gives you pleasure.

DSC02175.JPG

Edited by Spodgrim
Added the photo I forgot!
  • Like 5

21 hours ago, Matloughe said:

Hello Everyone!

A nearly full-time lurker here on the forums I have lost my modelling mojo with my current project of an LBSC Terminus station so have decided to pack it away and start on a smaller project as a taster/venture into 7mm Scale using the bits & pieces I have collected over the years as (hopefully) an inexpensive and completable project throughout this winter lock down.
I have bought three laser cut MDF A3 sized baseboard kits from a well-known auction site (at £12.50 a pop - quite reasonable!) the plan is to use two glued and bolted together as a scenic section and the third one to be a detachable fiddleyard/fiddlestick.

spacer.png

Planned Scenic Boards

I was very taken with Lydlow Goods and Halstead when I encountered them and thought that Lydlow Goods would provide a nice relaxing shunt to escape from the stresses of the real world. Having worked it out roughly with a full-scale plan on paper I have planned for two lines to enter from the left hand end with the front track being approximately 28" in length and the rear track 14" in length terminating in an end loading dock. This roughly equates to two wagons on the rear track and four on the front track - but only with unloading spots on the right-hand board for two wagons.
Basic plan would be to move wagons one or two at a time to the front track - and empties to the rear track to head off to the rest of the world.
I have drawn up a basic full-sized plan (as extensive as it is...) I don't want to share it fully however as I haven't yet thought about the backdrop of buildings to make scenery up and I want to roughly plan them down on paper.

The only slight issue is - I was playing around and managed to get the three musketeers together and its hard not to think of the smaller scales and what would fit in... perhaps I should buy some more baseboards for other layouts in different scales!

spacer.png

spacer.png

7mm "Fenchurch", 4mm "Brighton Works" & 2mm "Boxhill"

If anyone is interested in some glacial progress then stay tuned! I'll be sealing the boards with paint and cutting the MDF for the two scenic boards to make them into one.

Stay Safe and Keep Modelling!

Are the three scales of Terrier to help with adding depth and perspective...? :-) 

I'll be interested in seeing this progress as I do think the Dapol Terrier looks perfect for this type of layout, only don't make too good a job of it or I may end up giving in and buying one to do a 7mm shunting plank!!!

I hope you enjoy the build!

2 hours ago, Spodgrim said:

:laugh_mini: I'll see your 3 Terriers and a shunting layout you're building because you've got bored and raise you 3 Midland Railway vans!   I don't even model the Midland!

Good luck with the layout and hope it gives you pleasure.

Thank you for your kind words, you've definitely one-upped me as I only have one Midland van which you'll see below:

I've spent some time out in the Garage today and managed to butcher the boards together into looking a bit like a layout
spacer.png
Being made of MDF it was fairly easy to cut - initially I tried with my woodsaw but it just mangled it so I returned to scoring through the board with a sharp Stanley knife - there is still some more tidying up to do - due to the positioning of the slots and tabs of the board it is advantageous to keep a small lip at the middle of the board and along the back for structural integrity. The plus side of getting it together was I could plonk some stock down and get a 'visual' idea of what I wanted to achieve with the layout:

spacer.png

So the rear siding with the loco and GW wagon would be approximate the length it is shown here, I have it planned for 14" and the forward track with the wagon and van to be 28" from the left hand end of the layout. The rear track will end in an end loading dock and have space for approximately 2 wagons for shuffling about of a 'standard' wheelbase. The End loading dock will also form the platform adjacent to the front track for unloading wagons or vans.

Next job is to rummage about in the garage and glue the board together and primer it. I think it will end up a horrid shade of Magnolia initially as I have a half-used 15l tub of it kicking about. To clear the 'lip' between the boards I think I will put down a layer of Cork to raise the 'bed' of the layout up a little. As for control system I am planning on having the Fiddleyard as a 'dead yard' using a length of Peco Setrack as a cassette - its just long enough as the loco and wagon are sitting on one length of track - I may use a small sliver of wood under the track to bring it up to the level of the layout and either employ slide bolts to lock the FY track cassette to the correct layout track or I might just solder some Code 100 rail to the outside of the Code 124 and use them to line up & transmit electricity.
So with just a section for each onstage track - I might split the front track into two sections and the possibility of having some lighting in the forms of lamps on the layout there isn't anything special for the wiring. I am planning on DC operation with just throwing the switches open for DCC operation if needed.

With the fiddleyard there isn't anything special planned - I have an idea of making it operable from the front or the back by rotating that module 180 degrees and having exits on either side of the FY Module so I can run it from the front and if/should I take it anywhere I can operate it from behind if needed. The only other consideration I haven't even begun to think about is couplings - being a shunting layout having 3-links potentially may be a pain especially operating from behind leaning over the backscene and over the scenery.

So some progress but much more to think about!
Stay safe everyone and keep on modelling!

~ Gary

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...