Roco Z21 - Unable to modify DCC Decoder?

Shedmaster

Good Morning all, 

Would anybody happen to know or have experience with the Black Roco Z21 system and the reasons that may cause it to not be able to modify DCC decoders? 

My Z21 is being used with RTR OO models and shop bought decoders. 

I've had a couple of situations where I try to change maybe the Loco number or do a factory reset and it comes back with either a programming error or just won't accept changes. I haven't locked anything that I know of but find that some chips just won't behave. I have been using Hattons 8 pin space saver chips and a friend of mine has also been having the same results. 

Any help, advice or pointers would be very much appreciated. This Z21 is a new system and I would absolutely swear by it, but feel I'm missing something here in how I'm using it?

Kindest Regards, 

Shed. 
ps..I’m certain the wheels and track are clean Etc....

Edited by Shedmaster
Readback checks...

I assume that you are using the app to change the CVs?

you need to use the Manual option of the 3 choices for CV setting and when place the loco on your programming track the blue light will turn green to signify that you are programming. 

you can also connect to the Z21 using your PC and use the Maint Tool.

On 24/11/2020 at 07:45, WIMorrison said:

I assume that you are using the app to change the CVs?

you need to use the Manual option of the 3 choices for CV setting and when place the loco on your programming track the blue light will turn green to signify that you are programming. 

you can also connect to the Z21 using your PC and use the Maint Tool.

Hi, 

Many Thanks for your help, will be trying this tonight and also sharing with my pal, to see if we can get this sorted. 

Kindest Regards, 

Shed. 

2 hours ago, Neils WRX said:

Try using the PC Maintenance tool, this seems to work fine for me.

Stay safe,

Neil

Hi, 

I'd forgotten about this and have been experimenting this evening, only to find something else out. 

When I set cv8 to 8 to reset a chip, the Z21 says unable to do so, programming error. The loco then becomes unresponsive. By turning the Z21 completely off at the mains and back on again, voila! The Decoder is back to factory default. 

Strange, but true... I can stop assuming defective chips now at least! 

Thankyou again for your help.... 

Kindest Regards, 

Shed. 

3 hours ago, jpendle said:

Hi,

Which Z21 app are you using? The old one, Red loco icon, or the new one, Z21 on a black background.

I am using the new one and have no problems programming CV's on the programming track.

Regards,

John P

John P, 

I'm admittedly using the old version of the app and haven't updated this or the Z21 firmware since I bought it ages ago. I don't buy this having to turn the whole system off to apply a factory reset to a chip, I always thought I could just lift the loco off the track for a few minutes to drain all the power out of the chip, then place the loco back on the rails a little while later. 

Okay, so I'll get my system updated and expect this WILL help.... 

Many Thanks, 

Kindest Regards, 

Shed.