Good motors for 7mm engines; 1833 or something else?

Guest WM183

Hi all. I searched for this, but didn't find much, so figured I'd just ask.

What do folks use to power their 7mm locos, particularly med sized ones like moguls, prairies, and the like? 1833s are still common enough to not cost my internal organs; are they good choices?

Head spinning at 9700 RPM,

Amanda

I have used fold-up boxes with 1833's, Portescaps, Crailcrests, ABC in various sizes, and have settled with Canon motors with gearboxes from Bill at Premier Components. 

He does conventional worm&wheel, and two stage helical, and I have used both, though prefer the latter.  You can see video of my Duchess which was fitted with one on that thread, I have two in the cupboard, one for a Mogul and one for a tanner-oner which I will get round to next spring, hopefully.

Where space is a consideration, I have used motors from Taff Vale, most recently in my Garratt, where they are coupled to Steph Dale's ball-raced 50:1 fold-up boxes.

Apart from the Portescap whine, I'm pretty happy with all of them.

HTH

Simon

Thanks guys.

I just have an opportunity to get a couple 1833 Mashima motors for a good price, so wanted to be sure they'd be of use before I lay down the bills. I didn't realize Premier had those motors and boxes too! That is perfect.

Amanda

Somewhere on Jim McGowan's website he shares the black art of getting a fold up gearbox to work. Cost aside, my favourite is the Canon / ABC combo if only for laziness / need to work straight from the box. One of the austerities has the above combo, another an 1833 salvaged from a massage chair and a random 40:1 gearset from an exhibition junk stall. Both run equally well. My only gripe with the fold up type is that I rarely get them to work silently in both directions.

I also have one of Taff Models 1833 motors, bought when they were about half the price of the endangered Mashima, this works as well as the Canon and Mashima items.

Edited by doilum
Additional information

On 24/11/2020 at 13:29, WM183 said:

Thanks guys.

I just have an opportunity to get a couple 1833 Mashima motors for a good price, so wanted to be sure they'd be of use before I lay down the bills. I didn't realize Premier had those motors and boxes too! That is perfect.

Amanda

If you buy them you will find a ready market to sell them on if needs be. I am with Simon on this one though!

Paul R