Underframe and wheels - what red?

Dr Gerbil-Fritters

can't answer the question directly but I know that steam engines were painted RAL3002 Karminrot starting from 1950, so all of EPIII was using it. RAL 3000 Feuerrot was used in In EPII until 1950.

I hope you can find a comparison table between Humbrol and RAL

Michael

• Thanks 1

Ah but that’s the weathered versions!

Red is known to be a less stable colour too, which should account for the orangey appearance seen above, add a healthy dose of grime, oil and road dirt and surely, you could get away with quite a range of red to represent the original colour.

Cheers,

John.

PS The major Continental manufacturers often have a mismatch between various components, depending upon whether they are plastic or metal!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAL-Eisenbahnfarben says RAL 3000 until 1950, then RAL 3002.

This conversion site from RAL to other standards (mainly proprietary) is quite useful: https://encycolorpedia.com/paints/ral

I am not sure I could explain how to use it but I mustn't judge others by my dimwitted standards :-) Take for example their entry for carmine red (RAL 3002). Under 'Humbrol' it gives '153 Insignia Red'. And rates the accuracy of the match.

The cliché of colour is that it's never the same. Not in real life when surface, substrate, lighting and reflection have a profound effect on what comes out of the pot and not in photos or videos where the technology used to record and reproduce distorts it. Apart from that it's easy!

Ben

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have to say the shade may be ok, but what a terrible paint - even with my patent electric paint stirrer, the pigment doesn't mix well with the oil or whatever it is, and the coverage is poor.  anyway, it'll have to do until I find a better paint.

20201206_170208.jpg.2a9031f7e424d9fac01792952997c22f.jpg

It took about 3 hours to get this far, including two goes round the tender running gear and just this side of the loco... serves me right for buying an ÖBB version

:D

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Friendly/supportive 2

German loco had red inlays at the coupling rods, biut the main part of them was natural steel colour. You can easily reach that by removing the coupling rods and treating them with fine wet and dry paper. It should look like this:

DSC06340sml.jpg.a6663fc1fbb09227cbcc9ed11b02880a.jpg

cheers,

Michael

• Informative/Useful 2

All back together again, and had a quick test run.  Smashing.

20201216_144335.jpg.3feca9b7d1f934619f0b1dfca6e17814.jpg

Then I realised I had overlooked painting the guard irons and pony truck... s0d it.

A change of ID and a pair of Witte smoke defectors and a DCC chip and we're done.

My other Br44, bought as a non-runner, is awaiting a packet of spares from Roco before it can be returned to service

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2021 at 11:54, Allegheny1600 said:

Going all black makes it look like a different loco!

Actually this would be early post-war, the CFL didn't have much stock left so when they got ex-German locos (and anyone else come to that) there was no way they were staying satin black and red, it was straight out with the matt black and a big brush. Note this is a goods loco - we didn't have enough intact track for an express! I have two ex-Prussian T9s in HO with slight differences but both are CFL class 32xx, again matt black.

• Thanks 1