express models rotary switches...does any one know what type they are?

pheaton

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

i used to buy express models rotary switches for my signals, they are the ones that continuously rotate, i need some more but i dont know what they are called to look in the usual electronics sources.

Any one know what type of rotary switch they are?

Thanks

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Hi @Crosland, its a single pole switch 16 way switch express models wired the outputs together according to the signal used...so a 2 aspect wired the poles in groups of 2 so at each increment you got...red then green then back to red again then green..............same with the 3 aspect and the 4 aspect

and yes @wasdavetheroad i have googled it but...its like searching a needle in a stack of needles.

i dont expect express models will get them back in stock either

Edited by pheaton
  • Like 1

Hi

The images of the switches on the Express Models web site Link here seems to look like 12 way rotary switches of single pole (SP12W) design.  That is it ahs 12 positions unless you already have one that has 16 ways (positions)? Even if so a 12 way would be fine for all aspect types.

You just need, as stated, to obtain a 1 pole 12 way switch and a suitable knob and remove the switches locking ring located under the bottom fixing nut. This then allows continuous turning of the switch.

Cheap rotary switches can be purchased on eBay of from virtually all electronic retailers such as this example.. Rotary Switch SW077 example link

How to wire ... Suggest you may like to come back when you have the switch and details of what number of signal aspects it is to control and whether the signal is wired as Common Anode or Common Cathode configuration?  If you're unsure on this, advise us the make and type of signal and we should be able to help.

• RMweb Gold
On 30/11/2020 at 16:59, Brian said:

Hi

The images of the switches on the Express Models web site Link here seems to look like 12 way rotary switches of single pole (SP12W) design.  That is it ahs 12 positions unless you already have one that has 16 ways (positions)? Even if so a 12 way would be fine for all aspect types.

You just need, as stated, to obtain a 1 pole 12 way switch and a suitable knob and remove the switches locking ring located under the bottom fixing nut. This then allows continuous turning of the switch.

Cheap rotary switches can be purchased on eBay of from virtually all electronic retailers such as this example.. Rotary Switch SW077 example link

How to wire ... Suggest you may like to come back when you have the switch and details of what number of signal aspects it is to control and whether the signal is wired as Common Anode or Common Cathode configuration?  If you're unsure on this, advise us the make and type of signal and we should be able to help.

Hi Brian,

they are all common negative, I know how to wire it :) I was just going to copy how they have done it, they wire the terminals together in groups of 2 3 or 4 depending on the aspect of the signal, so the when you rotate the knob it goes ...red yellow green...or red and green, or red yellow double yellow and green, I didn't realise they had modded the switches though, hence my confusion, I thought you could get continuously rotating ones, off the shelf.

Thanks for your help.

15 minutes ago, pheaton said:

Hi Brian,

they are all common negative, I know how to wire it :) I was just going to copy how they have done it, they wire the terminals together in groups of 2 3 or 4 depending on the aspect of the signal, so the when you rotate the knob it goes ...red yellow green...or red and green, or red yellow double yellow and green, I didn't realise they had modded the switches though, hence my confusion, I thought you could get continuously rotating ones, off the shelf.

Its not so much a "mod" as "leaving out the stop pin ring".  Many rotary switches use the same arrangement - a washer with a peg on it which drops into one of the small holes around the body of the switch.   That stops the rotation at "N" steps.   Or, leave out the stop pin ring, and the switch continuously rotates.  If you find that useful to have continous rotation that's great.   Alternatively, put the stop pin in at two, three or four positions depending on the aspect of the signal, and you get a two, three or a four position switch. 

16 way is available, but more expensive than 12 way.  90 degrees between positions is also available (max of 4 positions), again at a higher price than the usual 30 degree, but for some panel situations the visual indication at 90 degrees may be worth the expense. 

- Nigel