Scalby in 4mm

MarkC

Well, good things seemingly come to he who waits...

I received a mail from the gentleman who purchased the Scarborough club's model of Scalby, some 9 years ago - I missed out on it then, being away at sea - asking if I would be interested in purchasing it. I'm pleased to say that a deal has been struck, and I will take possession of it in the New Year, when I return home from my present tour of duty.

To say that I am pleased would be an understatement. Intention is to get it ready for the Exhibition circuit again, once such things are allowed.

I will put up updates as work progresses; I hope that they will be of interest.

Mark

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 25/11/2020 at 15:29, MarkC said:

Well, good things seemingly come to he who waits...

I received a mail from the gentleman who purchased the Scarborough club's model of Scalby, some 9 years ago - I missed out on it then, being away at sea - asking if I would be interested in purchasing it. I'm pleased to say that a deal has been struck, and I will take possession of it in the New Year, when I return home from my present tour of duty.

To say that I am pleased would be an understatement. Intention is to get it ready for the Exhibition circuit again, once such things are allowed.

I will put up updates as work progresses; I hope that they will be of interest.

Mark

Mark,

I hope you will bring it to Spennymoor show in the future? Not sure if COVID will prevent a 2021 show but we will certainly be back on  for 2022.

cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DLPG said:

Mark,

I hope you will bring it to Spennymoor show in the future? Not sure if COVID will prevent a 2021 show but we will certainly be back on  for 2022.

cheers

Paul

Hello Paul

Thank you for that - we would be delighted to attend a Spennymoor show. I'll contact you directly in due course.

Happy New Year :)

Mark

• 2 months later...

Just an update - I have now taken possession of the layout, but sadly I'll not get chance to do much this week, as I'm returning to sea for another tour of duty. However, it looks great, and I'm looking forward to resuming services on the line!

A question - over the weekend a signalling diagram for Scalby has appeared in a Facebook Group, but whether signalling was installed, albeit briefly, or was this just planning for a scheme which never happened, is as yet unknown. Does anyone know more?

Mark

• 11 months later...

This last year has mainly been filled with accumulating stock, and we have also been doing some research into what locomotives were used by the contractors who built the line. (We all know about the last trains & the "Scrappie special", of course). Unless anyone knows different, we believe that there was a 12" x 20" Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST, either works #215 or #249, and a Fox,Walker 0-6-0ST. We're not sure of the works # as yet, but we think that it was a sister of "Minnie", used during the digging of Easington (later Grinkle) tunnel on the Staithes-Whitby line, & now preserved on, I think, the KESR. An Electrotren chassis & a Hardy's Hobbies body will be the basis for the Fox, Walker loco - the Barclay may have to be scratchbuilt. A scratchbuilt train of contractor's wagons is now in the pipeline too.

Signalling - still no definitive proof, but it's been suggested that initially there was a small signal cabin on the platform, and the signals were to protect the points into the siding. All taken out when the ground frame adjacent to the crane, released by the Gallows Close - Cloughton staff, was installed.

Fingers crossed that we can finally set the layout up whilst I'm on leave this time, even if it's only for a day or two.

Mark

Edited by MarkC
To add something
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Tempus fugit, it seems. Nothing of major note to report, other than that the train of contractor's waggons is now under construction, and several more items of rolling stock are now ready for use.

An nBrass Wickham trolley has also been constructed - static only at present. Nice little kit.

Plans are provisionally set to put the layout up again, hopefully in April, and we'll do any fettling required, as well as being able to play trains make sure that all is well with the track & stock...

Mark

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Some exciting news - I'm delighted to be able to announce that Scalby has been invited to the South Shields show on Friday 9th & Saturday 10th February 2024.

My co-conspirators and myself are looking forward to it 😎

Mark

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MarkC said:

Some exciting news - I'm delighted to be able to announce that Scalby has been invited to the South Shields show on Friday 9th & Saturday 10th February 2024.

My co-conspirators and myself are looking forward to it 😎

Mark

I've put it in my diary Mark. I hope I can make it over.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

A reminder - South Shields show this coming Friday & Saturday. First outing of the layout in over 11 years

1pm - 8pm Friday 9th

10am - 5pm Saturday 10th

Salvation Army Hall

Wawn Street

South Shields

https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/event/y2024/26425-SalvationArmySouthShields_Exhibition

Cheers

Mark

Edited by MarkC
  • Like 2