Help. Farish Deltic Blown Component from New

Rob Hayes

Hi All I have recently in the past two days purchased a Farish Class 55 015 Tulyar which for me is a holy grail of a loco and what a stunner it is.

however I’ve ran into a problem.

I have run it in at a moderate speed for a few hours either direction and there was no issue with it except it was a little hesitant at first. 

It is running on a loop of Kato Unitrack I have set up with a Marklin DC controller that is suitable for Z and N gauge locos.

The loco ran beautifully for a few hours over the past day and then suddenly today I went to move her off and suddenly smoke ! 
(I wish it was a smoke generator that would be impressive)... sadly not the case.

Ive popped the body off carefully and inspected it to see one of the circuit board items marked “D2” has blown a hole through its top.

I then placed the loco back on the track and checked for anything that could cause a short and it was all clear as nothing is around to cause a short. Then the loco ran perfectly again in both directions albeit with a now dimmed headlight at one end. 
the loco is now running perfect with no ill effects but with a dimmed light.

This is annoying as I am currently shielding my very poorly farther and do not wish to spend any time in a post office to send it back nor do I want to return it as it’s a great example and I have the skills to fix it myself.

if I can determine what the circuit mounted item is called and what value. 

I can only assume the component in question was a duff (is now..)

please see the photos it is the item marked “D2” in a row of 4 black boxes. 
Any help greatly appreciated and yes I have contacted the retailer and Bachmann regarding a spare circuit board. 

cheers Rob :) 

B6795D5C-05EA-46F2-ADE0-C78892E955BA.jpeg

C5C7AA31-6CF8-4E91-A21F-A6F8B8F03D91.jpeg

1E508E12-B981-4278-8919-96703AA302E1.jpeg

8D3A2C7E-268F-45BF-B50D-58D4645748F3.jpeg

Edited by Rob Hayes

• Rob Hayes changed the title to Help. Farish Deltic Blown Component from New

It will be a rectifying diode.  The little chamfer on the end of it is an orientation mark, so they need to be the right way round.  

Exact type hard to determine, but they're pence each from electronics suppliers.   

However, why that blew is a different matter, its not the sort of thing I'd expect to let go, so possibly something else may be wrong.  

- Nigel

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

It will be a rectifying diode.   

However, why that blew is a different matter, its not the sort of thing I'd expect to let go, so possibly something else may be wrong.  

- Nigel

Yep I was thinking it might be one of those. It’s a shame they are not labelled. It is very unusual to see them go and I’ve never had a problem with farish locos melting down before. The controller is stable and all other locos are. This one two is running to the side of me now flawlessly. Nowt wrong it seems except the blown component and dimmed light. 
I can live with it as the dim light is ironically prototypical. But not ideal.

the clag was also quite realistic for a Napier !  Haha

2 minutes ago, Stevebr said:

It looks like it could be a surface mount diode or perhaps a transient voltage diode (TVS)

Yep seems so but what Value I wonder :)

Rob, you don't say whether you bought the loco new or used but, if you bought it from a retail outlet, I think you should report the problem to them, even if you are not in a position to return the item for repair.  They may be able to advise you.  Alternatively it is probably worth discussing the problem Bachmann customer Services.  When I wnated some help with a replacement coach bogie, Bachmann referred me to BR LInes who managed to supply what i needed but, having just looked at his website, I suspect he may not have the sort of item you appear to need.

Harold.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, HLT 0109 said:

Rob, you don't say whether you bought the loco new or used but, if you bought it from a retail outlet, I think you should report the problem to them, even if you are not in a position to return the item for repair.  They may be able to advise you.  Alternatively it is probably worth discussing the problem Bachmann customer Services.  When I wnated some help with a replacement coach bogie, Bachmann referred me to BR LInes who managed to supply what i needed but, having just looked at his website, I suspect he may not have the sort of item you appear to need.

Harold.

Hi Harold many thanks.

I purchased the Item new and I have let them know and I’ve also contacted Bachmann.

luckily for me I just found on eBay some PCB for sale that match so I’ve bought I couple and I will repair it myself now. 
Normally I would return it but it’s not worth risking my dads health when I know I can fix it myself. 
I also am certain it’s just a bad component as all my other Farish, Kato, Dapol, Trix, Bachmann USA locos run fine with no issue all the time. 
I seem to always have this issue with Deltics I love them but each and every one I’ve bought I’ve had to fight to get them to work.

my first Farish one “The Black Watch” went tech with gear issues on day one, same with my Bachmann 00 ones. Seems Tulyar is no exception. 
hopefully I’ll get her sorted in no time now. I’m guessing I may have to swap the LED too but hopefully not.

Cheers :) 

• Friendly/supportive 1