£2,149- for a 2 car Bachmann Underground set on Ebay?

Derekstuart

Now I've seen some prices get really silly when multiple bidders are losing all sense of reality, but an opening price set by the seller for £2,149 for a two car Bachmann Underground model.

Am I missing something somewhere? Are they cast in gold or platinum?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/London-Underground-Bachmann-35-990-S-Stock-4-car-train-pack/164297562067?hash=item2640e5d7d3:g:C94AAOSwZRNfFJ5v

• Funny 1

19 minutes ago, Derekstuart said:

Now I've seen some prices get really silly when multiple bidders are losing all sense of reality, but an opening price set by the seller for £2,149 for a two car Bachmann Underground model.

Am I missing something somewhere? Are they cast in gold or platinum?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/London-Underground-Bachmann-35-990-S-Stock-4-car-train-pack/164297562067?hash=item2640e5d7d3:g:C94AAOSwZRNfFJ5v

Ah yes, but it does include postage :) !

Seriously though, that price must be a mistake, surely to goodness. :unsure:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It’s actually a four-car set - there are two more cars underneath the two that you can see in the picture.

These sets have been turning up on eBay for large asking prices for some time now.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Darius43 said:

It’s actually a four-car set - there are two more cars underneath the two that you can see in the picture.

These sets have been turning up on eBay for large asking prices for some time now.

6 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Nothing unusual, it could even be said this ones a bit on the cheap side.

Check the eBay madness thread for more.

Sorry, yes it's a four car. So only just over £300 per car. 

You're both right there- there are a few others for £500-£600, which seems excessive anyway. But £2,149? I mean common sense would say there's no point listing something for that price when there's several options 1/3 - 1/4 of the price.

That said, I went past my local (currently closed- possibly permanently) model shop and I've seen a Bachmann Blue Pullman for £1,200, which seems about the normal price now. Things have changed in the past few years it seems.

5 hours ago, Legend said:

Some people more money than sense . Incredible

Indeed. Given what a lot of people say and do, especially at the moment, I'm inclined to think that would still apply to many even if they had NO money at all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, Derekstuart said:

Sorry, yes it's a four car. So only just over £300 per car. 

You're both right there- there are a few others for £500-£600, which seems excessive anyway. But £2,149? I mean common sense would say there's no point listing something for that price when there's several options 1/3 - 1/4 of the price.

That said, I went past my local (currently closed- possibly permanently) model shop and I've seen a Bachmann Blue Pullman for £1,200, which seems about the normal price now. Things have changed in the past few years it seems.

Indeed. Given what a lot of people say and do, especially at the moment, I'm inclined to think that would still apply to many even if they had NO money at all.

Isnt the Blue Pullman a full blown set complete with Dynamis Control system though .  Agree its far too much money 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Legend said:

Isnt the Blue Pullman a full blown set complete with Dynamis Control system though .  Agree its far too much money 

Thanks for the info. I'd never heard of 'Dynamis' until you mentioned it. (I have now Go-Ducked it- every day is a learning day, it seems.)

I have just found the Blue Pullman- with Dynamis system- for £800 in Rails. It's normal to find a bit of difference between retailers, but £400- 33%? That's a bit cheeky of my local shop. That said, I don't know what their terms were when they bought it in, though I can't see the wholesale price being sufficiently lower to Rails to warrant that, but I don't know.

• RMweb Premium

There is a notorious non paying bidder doing the rounds who has been bidding up these S Stock sets to ridiculous levels (over five grand for one set a few months back) and then never paying.  See the separate thread in this section for details of this charlatan...

Edited by John M Upton

The one that went for £5000 the other month...

I asked the seller if they got paid for it (they said they did).  So I asked for the buyers username so I could contact them to make sure as something sounds fishy.

No reply.

I'm not cynical but unless it was being used by a TV studio, nobody is going to pay £5000 for the S-Stock.

There has been a fair bit of chatter about this on the LT modelling Fecesbook group.  Shill bidding, fake bids, and non-payers seem to be the norm. One chap put his on at a reasonable amount recently. It got bid up to stupid levels almost instantly, then sold to a non-payer. As TfL had a hard time selling off the last batch, it is doubtful they'd order another run from Bachmann. Shame really as LT modelling seems to be booming at the moment as something new and different. 

On 29/11/2020 at 19:51, Sir TophamHatt said:

The one that went for £5000 the other month...

I asked the seller if they got paid for it (they said they did).  So I asked for the buyers username so I could contact them to make sure as something sounds fishy.

No reply.

I'm not cynical but unless it was being used by a TV studio, nobody is going to pay £5000 for the S-Stock.

Funny you should mention that, just yesterday I was wondering how Pinewood Studios did the LT Underground Tube Train crash in Skyfall. It was quite spectactular, but I've no idea whether it was a model or CGI.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Funny you should mention that, just yesterday I was wondering how Pinewood Studios did the LT Underground Tube Train crash in Skyfall. It was quite spectactular, but I've no idea whether it was a model or CGI.

It was a model - 1:1 scale...

https://www.007.com/focus-week-skyfall-underground-chase/

• Informative/Useful 3