Removing DCC from Bachmann Class 08 Diesel

Stringfingerling

I've just bought two second hand 08's for one of my Grandsons.  I'm going to adapt them as 'Arry and 'Bert from Thomas, as the original models are no longer available.  They are both in good condition and work well, but one has a decoder fitted and they will be used only with DC power.  The one with the decoder will run smoothly on DC but it pauses before starting and its minimum speed is higher than that of the DC model; I think this is due to the decoder detecting DC power.  I would like to remove the decoder.  I don't currently have the blanking plate that DC versions have, but it looks as though they are available.  I am competent with a soldering iron.   

I haven't begun to investigate this project yet, but I would welcome any advice and opinions.

2 hours ago, Stringfingerling said:

I've just bought two second hand 08's for one of my Grandsons.  I'm going to adapt them as 'Arry and 'Bert from Thomas, as the original models are no longer available.  They are both in good condition and work well, but one has a decoder fitted and they will be used only with DC power.  The one with the decoder will run smoothly on DC but it pauses before starting and its minimum speed is higher than that of the DC model; I think this is due to the decoder detecting DC power.  I would like to remove the decoder.  I don't currently have the blanking plate that DC versions have, but it looks as though they are available.  I am competent with a soldering iron.   

I haven't begun to investigate this project yet, but I would welcome any advice and opinions.

PM sent.

If it doesnt have lights then simple jumpers work fine on an 8-pin socket in lieu of a blanking plate.

Picture shows them on a decoder test rig to allow checking of a DC controller.

11731048-A225-4E57-93BE-FD791F03E142.jpeg

Edited by RAF96
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1