Hornby Class 25

Currently starting a very quick repaint/detailing job on one of these to accompany my ICI bogie hoppers. For a model that's been around almost as long as me, it's not a bad body shell at all, moulded handrails and the usual Rovex painting/decal guide marks aside. The bodyside grilles are very well done in particular. Wire handrails have been fitted, paint/decals/varnish plus SE flush glazing and cab figures still to do. Will pop a photo up when done.

David

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi David,

I have some modified Hornby class 25's one into a 25/3 and two were converted into class 24's.

An easy modification to make is fitting them with wheels form either class 86's or LNER tender drives. Once this is done they sit slightly high, I rectified this by cutting off the buffer beams and replacing them 1.5mm lower so that the body sits lower on the frames. The locomotives somehow look longer

One modification that I did too late for most of my locomotives was to scribe the triangular panel into the sides. The class 25/3 that I made has it but the others don't as I only thought to do it while making it, as the all but one of the others were finish painted I decided that the older body styles will just have to do without.

DSCF1172.JPG.9d16eaa389f730ff83e19ab506cd4380.JPG

Template for scribing the triangular panel.

798017443_DSCF12321.JPG.c96f810e71a0cd43e259a76fb9f2b402.JPG

Rat-tastic !

Two 24's two 25/2's and a 25/3, the 25/3 was made up from bits of a Lima class 33 spliced into the roof and filler over the bodyside vents. Two need finishing off.

Gibbo.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 hours ago, darren chpamn said:

How did you make the template ?

Hi Darren.

I have a book of 4mm scale drawings called, "BR Main Line Diesels in 4mm Scale", by RS Carter and I marked out the shape from the drawings onto some .030" plasticard which was cut and filed to shape. Simple placing over the locomotive body and a scriber made the outline on the body side.

I shall do a sketch in the next day or so and post it here for you.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1