Kadee Couplings On Comet Coaches (Alliteration!)

Guest WM183

• RMweb Premium

They do when they need to get round corners rather than reasonably easy curves. Think Ashover coaches and ex WDLR wagons which worked on very tight radius corners.

But on more grown-up railways "Body to body" couplers and buffers give a much better draft forces path and hence a much better ride for the paying passengers.

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
Stray >!
  • Agree 2

Once upon a time I started converting all my UK stock to Kadee. (1992 ish) I had a pair of 2+8 Lima HST sets as well as around 20 other coaches. (I had a full Canadian basement to play with) Bogie mounting the couplers was a disaster. While I could get closer coupling, they tended to bounce a bit on point work and come uncoupled if there was any jostling of the train. Pushing with bogie mounted couplers was not very reliable either. After that I moved everything to body mounted and had far fewer issues and much better reliability. I also found that adding weight to meet (plus a bit) the NMRA specs makes a big difference as well. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

They do when they need to get round corners rather than reasonably easy curves. Think Ashover coaches and ex WDLR wagons which worked on very tight radius corners.

But on more grown-up railways "Body to body" couplers and buffers give a much better draft forces path and hence a much better ride for the paying passengers.

Regards

Chris H

A nd, guess what, you can't scale forces.. hence forget the bogie mountings .. they are in the wrong place as shown by @AndrewC.

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 2