Clan 72008 working a Carlisle - Bradford train, 1965

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was looking through a Settle and Carlisle book by Roger Siviter last night and I found a interesting picture of 72008 working the 16.37 Carlisle-Bradford in August 1965.  What’s also interesting is that the train appears to be made up of three LMS, I assume Stanier coaches.

I’d like to attach a copy of the picture but not sure if I’m allowed because of copyright, so if anyone has a copy of this picture or book, can someone enlighten me which coaches they are as I’d like to model the train.

Of interest to me too, due to my 'layout of a lifetime' project based around Carlisle. Plenty of pictures of this and similar trains in many S&C books.

Absolute classic 3-coach formation for an LMR (ex-LMS) longer distance stopping service would be BSK-CK-BSK, although BCK-SK-BSK is just possible (work on the basis of @25% first class accommodation). And formed of corridor stock.

By that date, they would be LMS 'Period III' Stanier stock (although a post-war porthole might be possible). Pics show such vehicles throughout the LMR steam era - the MkIs went straight into the express services when they first appeared.

Some pictures of that train often show vans (bogie and other types) added to the train which makes for even more interest / variety

• Thanks 1

I seem to recall hearing that Clans were quite 'common' on the Carlisle to Sheffield ovenight trains and were seen on Millhouses the following day so they must have come off at Sheffield Midland.  They also worked Kingmoor to Leeds Hunslet fitted freights, again mostly overnight.

Cheers Tony

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Absolute classic 3-coach formation for an LMR (ex-LMS) longer distance stopping service would be BSK-CK-BSK, although BCK-SK-BSK is just possible (work on the basis of @25% first class accommodation). And formed of corridor stock.

By that date, they would be LMS 'Period III' Stanier stock (although a post-war porthole might be possible). Pics show such vehicles throughout the LMR steam era - the MkIs went straight into the express services when they first appeared.

The first coach appears to be a BSK, as is the last, it has lookouts at the brake end.  I think the middle coach is a CK because there appears to be a yellow line above the first three windows.  Does anyone do the “Period III” coaches?

Edited by jools1959
Typo

The brakes are easy - Hornby have done the Stanier BSK for some time now, in maroon, eg

https://therailwayconductor.co.uk/filter-all-models/product/Hornby-r4236c-stanier-period-111-corridor-brake-3rd-class-coach-m5806m-maroon-oo-gauge

For the Composite, you could go for the older Mainline model, eg:

https://therailwayconductor.co.uk/filter-all-models/product/Hornby-r4236c-stanier-period-111-corridor-brake-3rd-class-coach-m5806m-maroon-oo-gauge#

Might be a bit of a clash of standards? Although Mainline also did the BSK, eg:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373124558426

Bachmann do a composite in their port hole range but I'm not aware that it's been released in maroon (yet?)

Depends on how fussy you are re absolute appearance.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully I've not stepped on anyone's toes regarding copyright, but this picture was taken by SC Crook and it's in Roger Siviter's "Settle and Carlisle memories".  It show's 72008 on it's Carlisle - Bradford all stations stopper complete with period ex LMS coaches.  If I've broken any rules, would the moderators please take it down.

DSC_0001.JPG

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

The image would definitely be of interest to me too as I'm currently modelling the Aire Valley Line.

Coach wise a CK is also available from Dapol which is the ex Airfix model which scrubs up well. Assuming of course you are working in 4mm?

I've had a look on Dapol's website and it seems to list their coaches as self assembly but list's them as non corridor, which is different to the picture.  Confused of East Anglia :scratchhead:

General Catalogue Pages (Dapol.co.uk)

Edited by jools1959

Just now, jools1959 said:

I've had a look on Dapol's website and it seems to list their coaches as self assembly but list's them as non corridor, which is different to the picture.  Confused of East Anglia :scratchhead:

You can easily find the original Airfix versions on eBay and the moulding is exactly the same. The Dapol paint work might be to a slightly higher standard.

Please note they do need a bit of work to bring them up to the standard of modern coaches.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Aire Head said:

Please note they do need a bit of work to bring them up to the standard of modern coaches.

I expect the paintwork on the prototype would be pretty ropey given that they’ve probably not got much longer on the system.  I think a half decent weathering job will hide any blemishes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jools1959 said:

I expect the paintwork on the prototype would be pretty ropey given that they’ve probably not got much longer on the system.  I think a half decent weathering job will hide any blemishes.

Its easy to get flush glazing for them aswell.

I've got a bunch waiting their turn but when I do I will probably go a bit more to town on them.

It all depends on what the standard you wish to achieve is :)

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Aire Head said:

Its easy to get flush glazing for them aswell.

I've got a bunch waiting their turn but when I do I will probably go a bit more to town on them.

It all depends on what the standard you wish to achieve is :)

Can they be fitted with NEM pockets as I’d like to fit Kadee couplers?

15 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Bachmann do a composite in their port hole range but I'm not aware that it's been released in maroon (yet?)

Bachmann have done the Porthole CK in crimson & cream 39-465(/A, weathered), and maroon 39-466.

The 2 brakes in the photo are different diagrams, and the Porthole brake 3rd (39-461 in maroon) could be used alongside the Hornby one.  The Dapol one is a different diagram again. There is a good topic somewhere around RMW on detailing the Dapol offerings.

• Informative/Useful 1